Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Adjunct ESL Instructor - Continuing Education
Required: Bachelor’s degree in education
Preferred: Master's degree related to ESL/EFL/Education
Required: Teaching adult population ESL
Preferred: Additional teaching experience
Part-Time Evening Monday and Wednesday, 6-9:00pm
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Adjunct ESL Instructor is responsible for teaching classes as assigned by the Coordinator. This is a part-time daytime ESL instructor to teach English to second language learners. Responsible for evaluating assessment reports, meeting educational needs of students and re-evaluating according to college and state guidelines. Must adhere to college policies and procedures.
Typical Physical Demands:
Depending on course delivery methodology:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as micro-computers, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in a classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required. Additionally, online instructors are responsible for obtaining and maintaining reliable compatible computer hardware and software.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
• Organize and teach classes as assigned by the coordinator.
• Conduct class meetings for the entire period scheduled and in a punctual manner.
• Maintain up-to-date syllabi, using criteria established by the Coordinator, in all courses as assigned.
• Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth oriented work environment.
• Maintain confidentiality regarding students and colleagues.
• Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner, submit reports regarding student progress, follow-up with students when attendance pattern changes, design targeted instruction to class(s) based on assessment results.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Ability to organize and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of students with varying backgrounds and abilities and adjust teaching techniques accordingly.
• Assume responsibility; deal effectively with problems, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, staff, administrators and other contacts.
• Possess strong human relations skills and the ability to effectively relate to diverse personalities.
• Knowledge of another language and sensitivity to cultural diversity preferred.
Open Until Filled