Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Adjunct High School Equivalency ( GED) Instructor
Required: Bachelor’s Degree preferably in education
Complete certification training(s) as required
Preferred: Teaching experience is preferred
Reading strategy background
16-20 hours per week with class hours 9AM-1PM
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Instructor is responsible for teaching and preparing adult classes in areas of reading, writing, mathematics and computer literacy.Must be knowledgeable in the area of reading skill acquisition and use research-based strategies to meet needs. Must evaluate and report adult student progress and level completion according to State/Federal guidelines.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in a classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize and teach adult classes in areas of reading writing, mathematics and computer literacy.
- Conduct class meetings for the entire period scheduled and in a punctual manner.
- Assists adults in preparation for high school equivalency testing.
- Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth oriented work environment.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding adult students and colleagues.
- Assists adults in improving basic literacy and workforce preparation skills.
- Instruct and communicate effectively with adults individually and in group situations.
- Maintain accurate and up to date adult student data and records.
- Implement assessments according to State/ Federal guidelines.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to organize and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of adult students with varying backgrounds and abilities and adjust teaching techniques accordingly.
- Efficient in computer skills.
- Assume responsibility; deal effectively with problems, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with adult students, colleagues, staff, administrators and other contacts.
- Possess strong human relations skills and the ability to effectively relate to diverse personalities.
14.00 per hour
Open Until Filled