Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your cover letter. For all Faculty and Adjunct positions please include an IWCC Application, Cover Letter, Resume and Unofficial Transcripts.
HiSET Success Advisor
Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience that demonstrates a commitment to delivering first-rate customer service and exceptional support on a daily basis is required. Experience that demonstrates a strong desire to work with a variety of people on a daily basis is required. Experience in student services at an institution of higher education is preferred. Experience or training that demonstrates strong written and oral communication skills and strong organizational skills is required. Experience that demonstrates the ability to successfully work on and complete several projects at one time is required. Experience that demonstrates strong problem-solving abilities is required. Experience that illustrates a history of successfully collaborating with co-workers on a regular basis to achieve common goals is required. Professional experience in at least one of the following: higher education experience, working with first generation populations; retention programming with specialized populations; implementation of grant funded initiatives or programs; or program coordination is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must possess superior oral and written communication skills. Ability to maintain enthusiasm for meeting with students throughout the year is mandatory. Ability to organize time and tasks is essential. Ability to meet deadlines required. Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with students, colleagues, faculty, and staff required. Ability to successfully and diplomatically work with co-workers to achieve common goals is critical. Ability to identify and actively solve problems, both independently and as a member of a team, is critical. Strong computer and advanced technological skills are necessary. Effective decision-making skills and flexible scheduling are vital. Attention to detail and ability to follow through independently are essential. Ability to work as a contributing member of a high-energy team in a fast-paced environment is a must.
The HiSET Success Advisor will work directly with students to aid them in successful completion of the HiSET program as well as planning for future educational and career goals. The HiSET Success Advisor is responsible for monitoring and tracking the progress of students throughout the program. Must hold a valid driver’s license and be able to drive college vehicles.
Monday through Thursday: 9:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Friday: 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
1. Participate in new student orientations including introductions and individual goal consultations.
2. Meet with each student after final exams to develop college or career plans, evaluate plans and make referrals to appropriate programs, as well as after graduation to follow progress and offer additional assistance where needed.
3. Offers unique academic interventions to help HiSET students prepare for college-level coursework.
4. Refer students to resources for financial aid and other forms of tuition assistance.
5. Provides exceptional student service by being knowledgeable of academic policies and procedures of Iowa Western, guiding students in decision-making and learning how to accept responsibility for their decisions, directing students to community resources, guiding students in making career and academic choices, and proactively communicating with students on a regular basis.
6.Assist HiSET students in connecting to useful college resources or outside support services/social service providers to address life matters that may interfere with successful program completion, including transportation, housing and childcare. Adopts a highly intrusive advising model to motivate students to seek help when they need it, through class observation, one-on-one advising meetings, and forming strong relationships with the students.
7. Initiates and maintains frequent contact with the HiSET students on a variety of topics and through various means, including face-to-face, email and phone communication.
8. Assist in planning, scheduling, and facilitating multiple student success workshops each semester for the HiSET students; workshops will include a variety of student success topics.
9. Monitors class attendance and academic performance of HiSET students on a weekly basis by communicating with students and HISET Instructors. Follows up with students not attending to ensure successful completion of HISET program.
10. Meets on a regular basis with the Pathway Navigator, GAP Coordinator, HiSET Instructor and other staff to exchange information and ideas to ensure program outcomes and metrics and being met.
11. Develops and maintains relationships with HISET Instructors to ensure the success of the HiSET students. Keeps in constant communication with instructors regarding HiSET activities and student progress through phone calls, emails, and face-to-face meetings.
12. Tracks all interactions with students, including emails, phone calls, and one-on-one meetings; maintains attendance records for all workshops, activities, and events; maintains records of participation in tutoring for each student; maintains records of referrals to support services, including on-campus and off campus academic and social service supports.
13. Compiles, analyzes, and reports all data on a monthly basis to ensure progress toward outcomes.
14. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Typical Physical Demands
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers.
Open until filled