Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your cover letter. For all Faculty and Adjunct positions please include an IWCC Application, Cover Letter, Resume and Unofficial Transcripts.
Adult Literacy/Career Pathways Instructor
INTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY
Required: Bachelor’s Degree
Preferred: BA or BS in Education, Special Education Endorsement
Required: Two years teaching experience
Preferred: Teaching and training experience with Adult Literacy students.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in educational theory and methodology related to the adult learner.
- Ability to organize and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of students with varying backgrounds and abilities and adjust teaching techniques accordingly.
- Assume responsibility; deal effectively with problems and exercise independent, sound judgment when making decisions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, staff, administrators and other contacts.
- Possess strong human relations skills and the ability to effectively relate to diverse personalities
The Instructor will be responsible for competency-based instruction in assigned HiSET and Career Pathways classes and independent learning situations. Duties include but are not limited to, teaching Digital Literacy, Language Arts Reading, Writing , Math, Social Studies and Science concepts and standards. Instructor will maintain student records including but not limited to: attendance, student follow-up and retention, enrollment and updating student records in electronic database, and management of materials and resources. Must certify in order to administer state and program required post-tests and evaluations. Must meet and adhere to state, college and program policies and procedures. Instructor will be responsible for pursuing, attending and sharing professional development updates in course area(s).
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build student rapport
- Evaluate and analyze assessment results and determine competency-based needs of class
- Work with and pursue implementation of College and Career Readiness Standards in class(es)
- Digital literacy: determine needs of class(s), select/design appropriate curriculum
- Develop lesson plans accordingly
- Teach reading, writing and math skills to adult learners at various educational functioning levels. For Career Pathway classes incorporate writing and math for Health, IT and Manufacturing Professions.
- Use variety of instructional strategies including, but not limited to, explicit/direct instruction, large group, small group, one-on-one situations
- Maintain daily attendance records
- Assist in student retention efforts with follow-up calls, emails, other methods of communication
- Follow state and local program guides pertaining to required certifications for electronic management system including assessment administration and entering of data in a timely manner
- Administer posttest(s) to students with a minimum of 40 hours targeted instruction
- Maintain up-to-date syllabi(s) for each class
- Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth oriented work environment
- Attend professional development and growth activities, reflecting at least 12 hours of professional development per year
- Attend staff meetings as scheduled
- Upgrade skills and knowledge relevant to teaching field or discipline
- Maintain confidentiality regarding students and colleagues
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner, such as: Providing syllabi at the start of class, maintain accurate and up-to-date attendance records, entering of data into the TE system
- Other duties as assigned
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Depends on course delivery methodology:
May require prolonged standing or sitting. May require frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters, numbers and/or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as desk-top computers, lap-top computers, calculator, telephone, faxes, scanners and copiers.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Work is routinely performed in a classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required.
General supervision received from: Adult Literacy Coordinator
Open until filled