Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Required: Master’s degree in Mathematics or related field with 12 graduate hours in Mathematics is required to teach college level courses.
Preferred: Teaching experience is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Ability to organize and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of students with varying backgrounds and abilities and adjust teaching techniques accordingly.
• Assume responsibility; deal effectively with problems, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, staff, administrators and other contacts.
• Possess strong human relations skills and the ability to effectively relate to diverse personalities.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The instructor will be responsible for course instruction and classroom management in all levels of Mathematics ranging from Basic Math to Differential Equations. Other duties include, but are not limited to, teaching classroom sessions, curriculum development/restructuring, committee assignments, student academic advising, student recruitment and responsibilities for materials and supplies. All candidates interviewed will be required to provide a teaching demonstration. Must meet Minimum Hiring Standards and adhere to college policies and procedures.
Typical Physical Demands:
Depending on course delivery methodology:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as micro-computers, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in a classroom environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required. Additionally, online instructors are responsible for obtaining and maintaining reliable compatible computer hardware and software.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Function as a team leader with other instructors to promote, develop and deliver quality education programs that are in the best interest of the students and the college.
2. Organize and teach classes as assigned by the academic dean, meeting the contract minimum of on-campus hours per week.
3. Conduct class meetings for the entire period scheduled and in a punctual manner.
4. Contribute to the development of course competencies for the program.
5. Assist with the development and monitoring of the program budget.
6. Assist with the development and revision of program curricula.
7. Assist with the recruitment and retention of students to the program.
8. Assist with the program day.
9. Initiate and pursue a professional growth plan; at a minimum, this plan must meet the guidelines for yearly in-service training.
10. Maintain competency and knowledge of current research, practice, and trends in the mathematics education field.
11. Advise students as assigned, refer students to other college resources as needed.
12. Actively participate in college life and activities, including participation in campus committees.
13. Maintain program equipment, making reports of repairs as needed to the department program chair and appropriate college departments.
14. Maintain student enrollment, attendance, competency records, grades and other pertinent class and student records.
15. Complete course report forms for every course each semester in a timely fashion.
16. Participate in departmental, school and college meetings as scheduled.
17. Maintain up-to-date syllabi, using criteria established by the department, in all courses assigned.
18. Exhibit a positive and professional demeanor and attitude, contributing to a productive and growth oriented work environment.
19. Schedule and conduct a minimum of 6 hours of office hours weekly.
20. Serve as an advisor to student activity organizations as assigned.
21. Understand and adhere to the organizational structure of the College and the academic division.
22. Maintain confidentiality regarding students and colleagues.
23. Demonstrate punctuality on all requests from the Dean and Program Chair. This may include, but is not limited to:
• Development of class schedules
• Budget development
• Evaluation of courses and programs
• Committee assignments
• Equipment needs and evaluations
24. Undertake and proficiently complete additional duties as assigned.
Open until filled