Expanded IV Therapy for the LPN
You will be required to attend the mandatory orientation day on the first day of class as well as 2 required lab days on campus at IWCC.This course is designed to prepare the Iowa LPN to perform procedures related to the expanded scope of intravenous therapy in a licensed hospital, licensed skilled nursing facility and a certified end-stage renal dialysis unit. Major emphasis is placed on the specialized skills needed to provide IV therapy for clients age 12 or older and weighing 80 pounds or more. Program Brochure
Upon successful completion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Summarize the major legal implications of IV therapy as related to the Iowa Code
- Select IV devices used in administering IV solution and drugs, indicating criteria for use, precautions, complications and documentation
- Select peripheral vein used for venipuncture
- Perform nursing responsibilities in preparation for and during venipuncture, maintenance and care of the client with an IV infusion in simulated and clinical situations
- Demonstrate principles of infection control
- Manage IV therapy to decrease the risk of complication
- Summarize the fundamentals of fluid and electrolyte metabolism
- Analyze the major drugs used intravenously, giving precautions, dose and effects, rate of infusion, side effects and reactions, factors controlling stability and compatibility, preparation and administration of each drug
- Demonstrate technique in preparation for and during venipuncture and the maintenance and care of the client with an infusion in a simulated laboratory setting and in a clinical setting
- Perform techniques for preparing and administering IV solutions and additives in simulated and clinical situations with appropriate supervision, according to agency policy
Location: Council Bluffs
Classroom: IWCC Campus, Looft Hall Building, 2700 College Rd.
Fee: $650 includes books and handouts. Fee must accompany registration. Money order/cashier’s check/credit card only-no personal checks accepted
Prerequisites: Must have unrestricted Iowa Nursing license and 1040 documented practicing hours/experience in a hospital or skilled nursing facility. LPN must be currently employed at a hospital, skilled nursing facility or a certified end-stage renal dialysis unit. Current employer must be willing to oversee the LPNs clinical experience after the coursework is complete.
You will receive a certificate of completion in the mail once the classroom and clinical portions are complete. Clinical paperwork must be turned in to the Course Coordinator before a certificate can be issued.
For more information contact: Rhonda Casson 712.325.3259 or firstname.lastname@example.org
EXPANDED IV THERAPY FOR LPN
This program will prepare LPNs to perform procedures related to the expanded scope of IV therapy in licensed hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and certified end-state renal dialysis units. Emphasis is on specialized skills needed to provide IV therapy for clients 12 or older and weighing 80 pounds or more. The first five days are classroom lecture. The last two days are mandatory lab. Certification is valid in Iowa only. Fee $650
|Section #||Location||Day(s)||Start Date||Start Time||Building||Contact Number|
|HLTH 13*02 - CF16||Council Bluffs Campus||S||10/01/2016||10:00AM-5:00PM||Looft Hall
||7 sessions||Call 712-325-3255|