Dental Hygiene Program (Fall 2015) - Application Checklist
Students interested in pursuing admission to the Dental Hygiene Program at Iowa Western must begin by submitting an Application for Admission to the college, and choosing a desired start term and start year. This document provides detailed information on the requirements you will need to complete in order to be considered for acceptance to the Dental Hygiene program. 20 students will be accepted each fall.
|Desired Start Date||Acceptance Begins|
|Fall Semester (August)||January 31st|
In addition to completing the college admissions requirements listed in Section 1 below, students interested in pursuing admission to the Dental Hygiene program at Iowa Western must complete additional program admission requirements listed in Section 2.
The remainder of this document provides detailed information on the admissions requirements you will need to complete in order to be considered for acceptance to the program:
- Complete College Admissions Requirements
- Complete Dental Hygiene Program Requirements
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all admissions requirements are documented in the Office of Admissions, and that his or her admissions application is correct, including intended start term, start year, and location.
Section 1: Complete College Admissions Requirements
- Complete an Application for Admission: The application is online at www.iwcc.edu and there is no application fee.
- Request Transcripts: You need to have a final, official high school transcript or HiSET/GED transcript sent to Iowa Western. If you have completed college course work, you will need to have an official college transcript sent to Iowa Western from the institution where the credit was earned. If you have completed more than 30 semester hours at a regionally accredited college or university, the high school transcript requirement may be waived.
- Take the Placement Test: You need to complete a free skills assessment test called COMPASS. If you have taken the ACT recently, you can submit those scores in lieu of taking the COMPASS test. Scores cannot be more than two years old at the start of the term for which you are accepted. If you have completed more than 30 semester hours at a regionally accredited college or university, the placement test score requirement may be waived for admission purposes. To schedule a time to take the COMPASS, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800.432.4852 extension 3277.
Once you complete the Application for Admission and submit placement test scores you will be accepted to Iowa Western as a Prep-Dental Hygiene student, and eligible to register for general education courses required for the Dental Hygiene program, including the prerequisite courses required for admission to the program listed in Section 2.
Section 2: Complete Dental Hygiene Program Admissions Requirements
- Complete 16 hours of observation with a registered Dental Hygienist and submit completed Dental Hygiene Program Observation Form to the Office of Admissions.
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a grade of “C” or higher:
- SPC-112 Public Speaking
- ENG-105 Composition I (Prerequisite: Minimum placement test score of 65 on COMPASS Writing or18 ACT English)
- CHM-132 Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry (Prerequisite: Introduction to General Chemistry OR one year of high school Chemistry with a grade of “C” or higher earned within the last two years) (Prerequisite for Introduction to General Chemistry: Minimum Math placement score of 40 on COMPASS Algebra or 18 on ACT Math; or minimum Final Prep Math Progress Score of 2.)
- BIO-168 Human Anatomy & Physiology I with Labs (Prerequisite: A grade of “C” or higher in Human Biology or General Biology at the college level, or one year of high school Anatomy and Physiology with a grade of “B” or higher earned within the last two years)
- BIO-173 Human Anatomy and Physiology II with Labs (Prerequisite: A grade of “C” or higher in Anatomy and Physiology I with Labs)
All students who complete the college admissions requirements listed in Section 1 are eligible to enroll in general education courses, including but not limited to the prerequisite courses listed above. For more information on getting registered for general education courses, or for help with the admissions requirements, please contact us at email@example.com or call 712.325.3277.
- Once you complete the College Admissions Requirements (Section 1) and Dental Hygiene Program Admissions Requirements (Section 2) your application is complete.
- In order to be considered for admission to the program, you will need to verify that the Office of Admissions has your start term and start year listed correctly.
- Acceptance for the Fall semester begins January 31.
Section 3: Frequently Asked Questions
How are students accepted to the Dental Hygiene program?
Students who complete the admissions requirements before the priority deadline will be awarded points based on the point system on the next page. Points are awarded based on grade point average in Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II with Labs and Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry, prior attainment of a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree, and Healthcare Work Experience. Students with the highest number of points will be accepted.
If a tiebreaker is needed, preference will be given to students who complete the most prerequisite courses at Iowa Western. If a second tiebreaker is needed, preference will be given to students with the earliest admission file completion dates.
Why does the Dental Hygiene Program have additional admissions requirements?
The Dental Hygiene Program is a rigorous academic program which requires students to be academically prepared for success in the first semester, including a strong background in human biology, anatomy, and physiology as well as chemistry. The Dental Hygiene Department carefully designed the admissions requirements to ensure that students who are accepted to the program have the fundamental knowledge needed to be successful in the first semester of the program.
Does the Dental Hygiene Program have a waiting list?
No, we do not utilize a waiting list. Once you have completed the College Admission Requirements and the Dental Hygiene Program Admissions Requirements listed above, you will have everything you need to be considered for admission to the program for an upcoming term. It is important to ensure that your record is up to date with the Office of Admissions, including your start term and start year.
How long does it take to get into the Dental Hygiene Program?
Iowa Western does not utilize a waiting list, so the amount of time it takes to get into the program varies by student depending on how long it takes to complete the College Admission Requirements and the Dental Hygiene Program Requirements listed above. The prerequisite courses typically take three to four semesters to complete for students who enter the college without any college credits.
If I do not complete the requirements for the program in time to be accepted, can I reapply?
Yes. To reapply, simply visit the Office of Admissions or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 712.325.3277 and request to change your start term.
How will I know if I get accepted to the Dental Hygiene Program?
Approximately two weeks after acceptance begins, which is January 31 for the Fall semester, you will receive a letter from the Office Admissions indicating your admissions status. If the program is not yet full at that time, we will continue accepting students who complete the requirements until the program fills.
What do I need to do once I get accepted to the Dental Hygiene Program?
Students accepted to the Dental Hygiene program will have to complete a few additional steps in order to be ready to begin the Dental Hygiene program, which include registering for classes, attending a Dental Hygiene orientation event, and completing criminal background check and physical paperwork. All of these steps will be included in your letter of acceptance or in additional communication from the Dental Hygiene Department.
Dental Hygiene Program - Point System
|Points will be awarded based on the following criteria. To be calculated in the point total, all documentation must be on file with the Office of Admissions by the priority deadline.||Possible Points|
|Grade Point Average for Biology Courses||0 - 40 pts|
Points will be awarded based on the grade point average the student earns in the three biology courses required for admission to the Dental Hygiene program:
BIO-168 Anatomy and Physiology I with Labs;
BIO-173 Anatomy and Physiology II with Labs; and
CHM-132 Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry
The following scale will be used to determine the number of points the student will be awarded:
3.68 - 4.0……...40 pts
3.34 - 3.6...........35 pts
3.01 - 3.33.........30 pts
2.68 - 3.00.........25 pts
2.34 - 2.67.........15 pts
2.01 - 2.33.........10 pts
|Prior Attainment of a Bachelor’s Degree or Master's Degree||5 pts|
Points will be awarded based on the attainment of either a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree; points will not be awarded for both.
|Healthcare Work Experience||5 pts|
Points will be awarded based on work experience in a healthcare setting, including but not limited to a medical or dental office. The work experience must be a minimum of two years if the student worked full-time or a minimum four years if the student worked part-time. The work experience must be documented using the Verification Form, which is available in the Office of Admissions.
Program Mission Statement
The mission of Iowa Western Community College Department of Dental Hygiene affiliated with Creighton University School of Dentistry is to educate Associate of Applied Science Degree dental hygienists in the broadest scope of clinical practice. Graduates are competent to provide comprehensive educational and clinical services, reflecting dental hygienists’ areas of expertise. Graduates are prepared to serve the community in both private and public health settings that support optimal oral health. All aspects of the program are continually assessed to provide ongoing excellence and to guide improvement. In keeping with the mission of caring, commitment and challenge, the dental hygiene program provides a positive learner focused environment.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of Iowa Western's Dental Hygiene program will be able to:
- Utilize evidence based decision making principles.
- Utilize the Dental Hygiene process of care to meet the needs of diverse populations.
- Operate within an ethical framework within the Dental Hygiene scope of practice.
- Positively motivate and effectively communciate with all populations to promote high standards of oral health.
Affiliated Program Information
The Iowa Western Community College Dental Hygiene Program was organized and established in conjunction with Creighton University School of Dentistry in 1998. Each institution offers a diverse educational and clinical experience for the students. Although IWCC is small in comparison to Creighton, our students receive the best of both worlds: exposure to an urban, private university campus with the intimacy of a small, rural community college campus.
Iowa Western has an articulation agreement with Creighton University School of Dentistry for students to complete a Bachelor of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene.
- Infectious Disease Policy is available in the Division Office.
- Clinic requirements are met at Creighton University School of Dentistry and selected offsite clinics.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age on the first day of class.
- Classes are held during the day, Monday through Friday.
- Courses must be taken in sequence, with a minimum grade of “C” in order to progress in the program.
- The cost of the program varies from student to student. Some general costs are:
- Tuition, fees, labs, etc...………$15,000.
- Books & Instruments...………....$3,500.
- There is no waiting list – new applications are taken each semester.
- Upon completion of the curriculum, students must successfully complete the Dental Hygiene National Board, and either the CRDTS exam or another state or regional board of choice, and a jurisprudence exam before being licensed.
Iowa Western Community College does not discriminate on the basis of disability, gender, age, race, religion, or national origin in educational programs, activities, employment practices, or admissions procedures. We adhere to CDC and OSHA guidelines. A copy of the Infection Control Policy is located in the Division Office.
- Jan Hillis, RDH, University of Minnesota, Bachelor of Arts in Education, University of Houston and Master of Arts in Education, University of Southern Florida
- Dorothy Polan, RDH and Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene, University of Nebraska
- Lisa Kucera, RDH, Central Community College, Bachelor of General Studies, Communication, University of Nebraska
Dental Hygiene Program - Observation Form for Prospective Students
To be completed by the student and signed by the participating Dentist or Dental Hygienist.
Student name (print or type): _____________________________ Date of Birth: ___________________
The purpose of the observation is to expose applicants to a wide-variety of procedures performed in a dental practice setting. Applicants are required to observe a minimum of 16 hours with a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH). After completing the observation hours this form must signed by the supervising RDH. The completed form must be submitted to the Office of Admissions by the priority deadline.
Applicants are required to document the times and dates of their observation hours using the log below.
|Date||Time In||Time Out||Hours|
Total Observation Hours
Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) Certification
This section must be completed by the supervising RDH.
By signing below, I hereby certify that the information provided on this form is true and accurate.
Signature(s) of RDH: _______________________________________, __________________________________
Printed Name(s) of RDH: ____________________________________, __________________________________
Name of Practice or Facility:
Address of Practice or Facility:
Phone Number of Practice or Facility:
By signing below, I hereby certify that all information on this form is true and correct.
Signature of Student: ______________________________________ Date: ____________________
This form can be found online at www.iwcc.edu/es/admissions/information.