Physical Therapist Assistant - Application Checklist
In order to be eligible for admission to the Physical Therapist Assistant program, students must complete the following eligibility requirements. Students will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. The first 24 students to complete the eligibility requirements will be accepted each Spring.
Spring Term (January) - Priority deadline is September 1
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor in the Student Welcome Center located in Clark Hall.
- Complete an Application to Iowa Western Community College.
- Submit all official transcripts (high school and college).
- Complete 20 hours of observation with a Physical Therapist Assistant or Physical Therapist and submit completed Physical Therapist Assistant Program Observation Form to the Office of Admissions.
- * Take a Placement test and meet minimum Reading, Writing, and Math score requirements:
- COMPASS Writing Score of 65 or higher
- COMPASS Reading Score of 71 or higher
- COMPASS Pre-Algebra Score of 51 or higher
- ASSET Writing Score of 37 or higher
- ASSET Reading Score of 38 or higher
- ASSET Elementary Algebra score of 30 or higher
- ACT English Score of 18 or higher
- ACT Reading Score of 16 or higher
- ACT Math Score of 15 or higher
- ** Submit proof of current and valid CPR Certification: Only the American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR, American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer, or the American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Card will be accepted. A copy of one of the approved CPR certifications must be on file with the Office of Admission.
**In order to be current and valid, the CPR Certification must not expire before the start of the term for which you have applied.
* Scores expire after two years. In order to be valid, scores cannot be more than two years old at the start of the term for which you have applied. Students who do not have valid test scores may schedule a time to take the COMPASS test by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Enrollment Services at 800.432.5852 extension 3277 or 712.325.3277 (select option 5).
Please note that BIO-168 Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Labs is required in the first semester of the Physical Therapist Assistant program, and it has a prerequisite of "Human Biology, General Biology I, or one year of high school anatomy and physiology". Students must have the prerequisite for Human Anatomy and Physiology I completed before being eligible to begin Physical Therapist Assistant program courses in the first semester of the program.
Additionally, students accepted to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program should be aware of the following course prerequisites occurring in the second and third semesters of the program:
- BIO-209 Kinesiology is required in the second semester of the program, and it has a prerequisite of "a grade of 'B' or higher in Anatomy and Physiology I with Labs"
- BIO-211 Pathophysiology is required in the third semester of the program, and it has a prerequisite of "a grade of 'B' or higher in Anatomy and Physiology II with Labs"
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all admissions requirements are documented in the Office of Admissions.
Physical Therapist Assistant Program - Observation Form for Prospective Students
To be completed by the student and signed by the participating Physical Therapist (PT) or Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA).
Student name (print or type): _________________________________________ Date of Birth: _________________________
The purpose of the observation is to expose applicants to a wide-variety of procedures and practices performed by a Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) or Physical Therapist (PT). Applicants are required to complete a minimum of 20 hours of observation. Although applicants are encouraged to observe a variety of procedures, they are required to observe specific procedures, which are detailed below.
In order to successfully complete this requirement for admission, applicants must:
- Complete a minimum of 20 hours of observation.
- Complete the Required Procedures for Observation detailed below, and ensure that the supervising Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) or Physical Therapist (PT) initials and dates each Required Procedure for Observation.
- Complete the Observation Details by indicating which procedures they observed and in what setting they observed those procedures in by placing check marks in the appropriate boxes.
- Complete the Observation Log by documenting the times and dates for each observation.
- Ensure that the supervising Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) or Physical Therapist (PT) completes the Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) or Physical Therapist (PT) Certification section .
- Sign and date the Applicant Certification section and submit it to the Office of Admissions.
Since you will be representing Iowa Western during observation, please follow these guidelines:
- Arrive promptly at your appointed observation time
- Introduce yourself and state the purpose for being there
- There is a dress code required during your observation hours. You are observing in a professional setting and will be required to wear business casual clothing.
- Collared shirt with sleeves (no sleeveless tops)
- Slacks (Kakis or dress pants)
- Closed toe shoes
- Socks or hosiery should be worn
- Visible tattoos should be covered
- Avoid visible body piercings other than ears
- Avoid jeans, shorts, capris and open toe shoes
- Avoid showing skin between shirt and top of pants
Required Procedures for Observation
The following procedures are required for observation. The supervising Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) or Physical Therapist (PT) must initial and date next to each observed procedure.
|Procedure Required for Observation||Supervising PTA or PT Initials||Date of observation|
|Modalities (must observe all three):|
|Spine/Extremities (must observe all five):|
|Interventions (must observe all three):|
In addition to the Required Procedures for Observation, applicants are required to document each additional procedure they observe during their 20 hours of observation. Applicants are encouraged to observe a wide variety of practices and procedures, and document them using the chart below.
Applicants are required to document the times and dates of their observation hours using the log below.
|Date||Time In||Time Out||Hours|
|Total Observation Hours|
Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) and/or Physical Therapist (PT) Certification
This section must be completed by the supervising PTA and/or PT
By signing below, I hereby certify that the information provided on this form is true and accurate.
Signature(s) of PTA and/or PT: _______________________________________, __________________________________
Printed Name(s) of PTA and/or PT: ____________________________________, __________________________________
Name of Clinic or Facility:
Address of Clinic or Facility:
Phone Number of Clinic or Facility:
By signing below, I hereby certify that all information on this form is true and correct.
Signature of Student: ______________________________________ Date: ____________________
This form can be found online at www.iwcc.edu/es/admissions/information