Sign Language Interpreting Program - Application Checklist
In order to be eligible for admission to the Sign Language Interpreting program, students must complete the following eligibility requirements. Students will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. The first 40 students to complete the eligibility requirements will be accepted each Fall.
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor in the Student Welcome Center located in Clark Hall.
- Complete an Application for Admission to Iowa Western Community College.
- Submit all official transcripts (high school and college).
- * Take a placement test: All new students need
to complete a skills assessment test called the COMPASS. If a student
has taken the ASSET or ACT recently, he or she can submit those
scores in lieu of taking the COMPASS test. Students who have already
completed math and/or English for college credit, should check with
an Admissions Advisor before scheduling the COMPASS.
* Scores expire after two years. In order to be valid, scores cannot be more than two years old at the start of the term for which you have applied. Students who do not have valid test scores may schedule a time to take the COMPASS test by e-mailing email@example.com or by calling Enrollment Services at 800.432.5852 extension 3277 or 712.325.3277 (select option 5).
- * Complete the following pre-requisite courses:
- ENG-105 English Composition I
- A.A.S Math Requirement (MAT-110 or higher)
- SPC-112 Public Speaking OR SPC-122 Interpersonal Communication
- PSY-111 Introduction to Psychology OR PSY-121 Developmental Psychology
- ** ASL-141 American Sign Language I
- ITP-165 Foundations of Deaf Culture and Community
- ITP-135 Introduction to Language
* Prerequisite courses can be in progress for acceptance purposes, and students will be provisionally accepted, pending completion of all prerequisite courses. Students taking prerequisite courses at another institution must submit enrollment verification from that institution in order to be eligible for provisional acceptance. Students taking prerequisite courses at IWCC do not need to submit enrollment verification.
** Please note that ASL-110 Intro to American Sign Language is a prerequisite for ASL-141 American Sign Language I.
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all admissions requirements are documented in the Office of Admissions.