Veterinary Technology Program - Application Checklist
Admission to the Veterinary Technology program will be granted to students who complete the eligibility requirements below, with priority given to students who complete the requirements by the priority deadline; however, if space allows, students will be accepted after the priority deadline until the program is full. If there are more eligible students than space available at the priority deadline, preference will be given to students with the earliest admission file completion dates. 32 students are accepted each Fall.
Fall Term (August) - Priority deadline is January 31
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor in the Student Welcome Center located in Clark Hall.
- Complete an Application to Iowa Western Community College.
- Submit all official transcripts (high school and college).
- Complete 24 hours of observation with a Veterinary Technician or Veterinarian and submit completed Veterinary Technology Program Observation Form to the Office of Admissions.
- Send Placement Test Scores: Placement test scores (ACT, SAT, or COMPASS) are not required for admission to the college. However, if you have taken the ACT, SAT, or COMPASS recently please have your most recent scores sent to the Admissions Office. Your scores may be used by advisors to help determine placement into appropriate Math and English courses.
- Complete the following pre-requisite course with a grade of “C” or higher:
- * BIO-112 General Biology I
* This course has prerequisites. Please check with an advisor for more information.
Note: In addition to the prerequisite course listed above, students must complete the chemistry requirement of either a high school-level chemistry course of at least one semester or a college-level chemistry course of at least three semester hours before they are eligible to begin Veterinary Technology classes.
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all admissions requirements are documented in the Office of Admissions.
Veterinary Technology Program - Observation Form for Prospective Students
To be completed by the student and signed by the participating Veterinarian or Veterinary Technician.
Student name (print or type): _________________________________________ Date of Birth: _________________________
The purpose of the observation is to expose applicants to a wide-variety of veterinary procedures performed on small and large animals by a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT), Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT), and/or Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT). Applicants are required to complete a minimum of 24 hours of observation in a small animal practice or large animal setting, or a combination of both. Although applicants are encouraged to observe a variety of procedures, they are required to observe eight specific procedures, which are detailed below.
In order to successfully compelte this requirement for admission, applicants must:
- Complete a minimum of 24 hours of observation in a small animal practice or a large animal setting, or a combination of both.
- Complete the Required Procedures for Observation detailed below, and ensure that the supervising DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT initals and dates each Required Procedure for Observation.
- Complete the Observation Log by documenting the times and dates for each observation.
- Complete the Observation Details by indicating which procedures they observed and in what setting they observed those procedures in by placing check marks in the appropriate boxes.
- Ensure that the supervising DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT completes the DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT Certification section .
- Sign and date the Applicant Certification section and submit it to the Office of Admissions.
Required Procedures for Observation
The following procedures are required for observation. Applicants may observe these specific procedures in a small animal practice or a large animal setting, or a combination of both. The supervising DVM, LVT, RVT, or CVT must initial and date next to each observed procedure.
|Procedure Required for Observation||Supervising DVM, LVT, RVT, or CVT Initials||Date of observation|
|Prepare fecal specimens/floats|
|Anesthesia machine operation|
|Cleaning cages, equipment & clinic|
Applicants are required to document each procedure they observed by placing check marks next to each of the procedures they observed during their 24 hours of observation. It is not required to observe all of the items listed below, however, applicants are encouraged to observe a wide-variety of procedures.
Small Animal Procedures
|Obtain patient history||Heartworm tests|
|Communicate with client||Gram stain|
|Collect/prepare fecal specimens/floats||Diff-quick stain|
|Analyze fecal specimen for parasites||Taking radiographs|
|Express anal glands||Developing radiographs|
|IV catheter||Restraint techniques (feline/canine)|
|Urinary catheter||Restraint techniques (other animal)|
|IV or IM anesthetic||Administer pills|
|Anesthesia machine operation||Force-feeding|
|Mask animal for anesthetic||Administer subcutaneous fluids|
|Cephalic blood draw||Operate & maintain autoclave|
|Jugular blood draw||Apply/remove bandages & splints|
|Blood draw-inner/outer rear legs||Therapeutic bathing/basic grooming|
|Lab analysis of blood - PCV/TP||Cleaning cages, equipment & clinic|
|Blood chemistry machines||Use of clinic software (access records/set app’ts)|
|Blood smears||Access client/patient files|
|Urinalysis||Misc. paper work, filing & records|
|Surgical preparation||Trim nails|
|Routine dental prophylaxis||De-claw|
Large Animal Procedures
|Mobile ambulance inventory/cleanup||Collect/examine blood specimens|
|Prepare squeeze chutes/head gates||Collect/examine urine specimens|
|Restraint techniques||Collect/examine fecal specimens|
|Tagging, tattooing, identification||Take/develop radiographs|
|External parasite examination||Surgical preparation|
|Use of b alling gun||Anesthesia|
|Gastric tubing||Embryo transplant|
|Dock tails||Semen collection|
Applicants are required to document the times and dates of their observation hours using the log below.
|Date||Time In||Time Out||Hours|
|Total Observation Hours|
DVM, LVT, RVT and/or CVT Certification
This section must be completed by the supervising DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT
By signing below, I hereby certify that the information provided on this form is true and accurate.
Signature(s) of DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT: _______________________________________, __________________________________
Printed Name(s) of DVM, LVT, RVT, and/or CVT: ____________________________________, __________________________________
Name of Clinic or Facility:
Address of Clinic or Facility:
Phone Number of Clinic or Facility:
By signing below, I hereby certify that all information on this form is true and correct.
Signature of Student: ______________________________________ Date: ____________________
This form can be found online at www.iwcc.edu/es/admissions/information