Emergency Medical Responder
Formerly known as First Responder
This class usually meets two nights per week for eight weeks. The Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) course emphasizes the development of student skills in patient assessment and examination, recognition of signs and symptoms regarding illness or injury, and proper procedures when rendering basic emergency care.
Upon successful completion of this course, the participant should be able to demonstrate an understanding of the overall role and responsibilities of an Emergency Medical Responder in performing both emergency medical care and operational aspects of the profession. In addition to the classroom and practical portions of the course, the student will complete a sixteen hour internship in an emergency department.
- Applicant must be at least 17 years of age at the time of enrollment.
- Must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
- Must be physically able to perform the functions of an Emergency Medical Responder.
- Must be currently certified in Healthcare Provider CPR and provide a copy of the card on or before the first class session.
- Must submit to drug screening and background check.
- Must have written documentation of TB test (no older than 6 months).
ATTENDANCE FOR CLASS ORIENTATION ON THE FIRST SESSION IS MANDATORY!!!
There are no classes scheduled at this time please check back later.
Fee: $495 includes tuition and practical exam fees) Does not include written exam fees. Money order/cashier’s check/credit card only - no personal checks accepted. Fee must be paid on or before first night of class.
If billed to your service, a letter indicating financial responsibility must be submitted before the first night of class.
Credit: 60 Contact Hours
Iowa Western Community College Paramedic program, on the Council Bluffs campus, is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkway Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088