Selecting a major does not necessarily mean you will limit your career choices available to you after graduation. If you choose a major that you enjoy, you will be more motivated in the classes you take and therefore you are more likely to excel academically. Also when it&’s time to start looking for a job or applying to transfer schools you will be able to explain with enthusiasm why you chose your major and what you gained from doing so. For more information about career planning, contact email@example.com.
Not sure what career path is right for you? Or what you should major in to get there? Click on this short assessment to see what path fits you best. Once you find a path that interests you click on it below to find majors offered at IWCC!
For more resources, go to Career Planning Resources.
More assessments are available at I Have a Plan Iowa. You can create a FREE account to get access to 5 different assessments and other career resources!
Questions to Ask Yourself
Ask yourself the questions below for each major you are considering. For help answering these questions look at the career information and recommended courses listed on the program guide. All of our program guides can be found on our Academic Programs page.
- Does the required coursework in this major complement my interests and abilities?
- Are there required courses that I really do not want to take?
- How much freedom will I have to take elective courses?
- If I already have defined my career goal, does this major complement or prepare me for that career?
- Does this major allow me to pursue an area of emphasis?
- Are there other important considerations?
- Do I need to transfer to get a job?
- Are there jobs in this field?