Economic and Workforce Development
The Division of Economic and Workforce Development at Iowa Western Community College works with individuals, communities, and existing and emerging businesses in Cass, Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Page, Pottawattamie, and Shelby counties providing services and programs they need to remain competitive and thrive. The division provides services in the areas of economic development, workforce development, and entrepreneurial development
- Industrial New Jobs Training (260e) (INJTP) - The Iowa New Jobs Training Program provides training dollars from certificates sold by Iowa's community colleges. The certificates are paid for by the diversion of the new employees' payroll withholding tax.
- Iowa Jobs Training Program (260f) (IJTP) - Iowa Jobs Training Program provides forgivable loans to Iowa businesses to train existing workers. The purpose of the program is to help Iowa businesses become more competitive by providing the resources to maximize the skills and productivity of their workers.
- Community Economic Development Assistance - Iowa Western Community College works closely with local economic development interests to facilitate and add value to local economic development.
- Customized Training - Iowa Western Community College delivers customized training and consulting services to area businesses, governmental agencies, and non-profit organizations. The office of Economic Development provides the varied types of training sought by today's small and large businesses.
- Other Services - Iowa Western Community College delivers an array of other services including networking events, conferences and forums to assist with business development.
Iowa Western Workforce Development
- Workforce Development delivers the programs created by the federal Workforce Investment Act. The program provides employment and training activities for low income adults and youth, as well as dislocated workers.
- Working with community partners to develop and implement the Workforce Alignment Plan. This plan will help prepare for the future by aligning the workforce system with education and economic development resources in Pottawattamie County, Iowa. The cohesive efforts will help to meet the demands of current and prospective businesses in the long term.
- Strengthen the capacity of the workforce system to respond to the needs of businesses by forecasting workforce needs 3-5 years out as well as identifying current overlapping industry needs.
Iowa Western Small Business Development Center
Serving Pottawattamie, Mills, Fremont, Page, Cass, Shelby and Harrison Counties, The Iowa Western Small Business Development Center helps businesses in every stage. From concept to startup, growth to renewal, mature to succession. We are here to help you succeed at every point.
We provide free technical assistance and one on one coaching and training on a variety of topics for both startups and existing businesses including:
- Business planning & modeling
- Financing opportunities
- New Business Guidance
- Cash Flow Projections
- Market Research services
- Loan Proposal Assistance
- Websites/Social Media
- Business management
- Access to Technology Resources
Funded in part through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
More Information at Iowa SBDC
Iowa Western delivers an array of services and activities to promote entrepreneurship to the community including a youth entrepreneurship challenge, teacher entrepreneurship training, and engagement events. The combined effort will help high school students, college students, teachers and the public become inspired to become engaged and how to achieve their goals.