Advanced Placement Associate Degree Nursing - Application Checklist
Admission to the Advanced Placement Associate Degree Nursing program will be granted to students who complete the following eligibility requirements, with priority given to those students who complete all requirements by the priority deadline; however, if space allows students will be accepted after the priority deadline until the program is full. If there are more eligible students than space available at the priority deadline, preference will be given to students with the earliest admission file completion date. 16 students will be accepted each Spring.
Spring Term (January) - Priority deadline is October 1
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor in the Student Welcome Center located in Clark Hall.
- Complete an Application for Admission to Iowa Western Community College.
- Submit all official transcripts (high school and college).
- Submit a copy of current, valid LPN License.
- * Take a Placement test and meet minimum Reading, Writing, and Math
- COMPASS Writing Score of 65 or higher
- COMPASS Reading Score of 71 or higher
- COMPASS Pre-Algebra Score of 51 or higher
- ASSET Writing Score of 37 or higher
- ASSET Reading Score of 38 or higher
- ASSET Elementary Algebra score of 30 or higher
- ACT English Score of 18 or higher
- ACT Reading Score of 16 or higher
- ACT Math Score of 15 or higher
* Scores expire after two years. In order to be valid, scores cannot be more than two years old at the start of the term for which you have applied. Students who do not have valid test scores may schedule a time to take the COMPASS test by e-mailing email@example.com or by calling Enrollment Services at 800.432.5852 extension 3277 or 712.325.3277 (select option 5).
- Complete the following Prerequisite Courses with a grade of "C" or higher: All Prerequisite courses must be
completed prior to starting Advanced Placement Associate Degree Nursing
program courses in January. Prerequisite courses can be in progress
for acceptance purposes, and students may be accepted on a provisional
status, pending completion of all currently enrolled prerequisite
courses. Students taking prerequisite courses at another institution
must submit enrollment verification from that institution in order
to be eligible for provisional acceptance.
- * BIO-168 Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Labs
- BIO-173 Human Anatomy and Physiology II with Labs
- PSY-111 Introduction to Psychology
- ENG-105 Composition I
- BIO-151 Nutrition
- SPC-112 Public Speaking
- PSY-121 Developmental Psychology
- SOC-110 Introduction to Sociology
- BIO-186 Microbiology
- MGT-195 Workplace Empowerment
* Please note that BIO 168 Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Labs has a prerequisite of a grade of “C” or higher in Human Biology, or a grade of “C” or higher in one year of high school anatomy and physiology earned within the last two years.
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all admissions requirements are documented in the Office of Admissions.