EMS: Paramedic Program - Application Checklist
In order to be eligible for admission to the EMS: Paramedic program, students must complete the following eligibility requirements. Students will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. The first 22 students to complete the eligibility requirements will be accepted.
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor in the Student Welcome Center located in Clark Hall.
- Complete an Application for Admission to Iowa Western Community College.
- Submit all official transcripts (high school and college).
- * Take a placement test: All new students need to complete a skills assessment test called the COMPASS. If a student has taken the ASSET or ACT recently, he or she can submit those scores in lieu of taking the COMPASS test. Students who have already completed math and/or English for college credit, should check with an Admissions Advisor before scheduling the COMPASS.
* Scores expire after two years. In order to be valid, scores cannot be more than two years old at the start of the term for which you have applied.Students who do not have valid test scores may schedule a time to take the COMPASS test by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Enrollment Services at 800.432.5852 extension 3277 or 712.325.3277 (select option 5).
- * Submit proof of current and active Iowa EMT Certification.
- Complete the following pre-requisite:
- HSC-126 Anatomy for Allied Health
- * Submit proof of current and valid CPR Certification: Only the American Heart Association
Healthcare Provider CPR, American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer, or the
American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Card will be accepted.
A copy of one of the approved CPR certifications must be on file with the Office of
* In order to be current and active, the Iowa EMT Certification must not expire before the start of the term for which you have applied, and must have an "active" certification status, as reported by the Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau of EMS.
In order to be current and valid, the CPR Certification must not expire before the start of the term for which you have applied.
The Paramedic program of study begins in the Spring semester. Students who want to take courses in the Fall semester are encouraged to enroll in the general education courses that are required for the degree and/or to complete the EMT course and then sit for Iowa EMT Certification, which is required for admission to the Paramedic program.
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all admissions requirements are documented in the Office of Admissions.