Practical Nursing Program - Application Checklist
Admission to the Practical Nursing program will be granted to students who complete the requirements for their intended start term, with priority given to those students who complete all requirements by the priority deadline; however, if space allows, students will continue to be accepted after the priority deadline until the program is full. If there are more eligible students than space available at the priority deadline, preference will be given to students with the highest number of prerequisite courses completed at Iowa Western. If a tie breaker is needed, students with the highest GPA in Anatomy and Physiology I and II with Labs will be accepted.
Each Fall and Spring, 64 students will be accepted in Council Bluffs. Each Fall, 32 students will be accepted in Clarinda.
Each Fall, 24 students will be accepted in Harlan. Students must indicate a start term and location(s) on their application.
Fall Term (August) - Priority deadline is January 31
Spring Term (January) - Priority deadline is September 1
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor in the Student Welcome Center located in Clark Hall.
- Complete an Application for Admission to Iowa Western Community College.
- Submit all official transcripts (high school and college).
- Successfully complete both the 75 hour Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) course and The Nurse Aide State Written and Skills Exams. Students must submit a copy of current, valid CNA card (or a course transcript or course completion certificate). In addition, students must submit a copy of valid scores from the CNA Written and Skills Exams.
- * Take a Placement test and meet minimum Reading, Writing, and Math
- COMPASS Writing Score of 65 or higher
- COMPASS Reading Score of 71 or higher
- COMPASS Pre-Algebra Score of 51 or higher
- ASSET Writing Score of 37 or higher
- ASSET Reading Score of 38 or higher
- ASSET Elementary Algebra score of 30 or higher
- ACT English Score of 18 or higher
- ACT Reading Score of 16 or higher
- ACT Math Score of 15 or higher
* Scores expire after two years. In order to be valid, scores cannot be more than two years old at the start of the term for which you have applied. Students who do not have valid test scores may schedule a time to take the COMPASS test by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Admissions at 800.432.5852 extension 3277 or 712.325.3277 (select option 5).
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a grade of "C" or
- SPC-112 Public Speaking
- ENG-105 English Composition I
- PSY-121 Developmental Psychology
- Complete the following prerequisite courses with a grade of "B" or higher (beginning Fall 2013)**:
- * BIO-168 Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Labs
- BIO-173 Human Anatomy and Physiology II with Labs
* Please note that BIO-168 Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Labs has a prerequisite of a grade of "C" or higher in Human Biology or General Biology. Or, a grade of "C" or higher in one year of high school Anatomy and Physiology earned within the last two years.
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all admissions requirements are documented in the Office of Admissions.