Surgical Technology Program - Application Checklist
In order to be eligible for admission to this program, students must meet the following eligibility requirements. Students will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. The first 24 students to complete the eligibility requirements will be accepted each Fall.
- Meet with an Admissions Advisor in the Student Welcome Center located in Clark Hall.
- Complete an Application to Iowa Western Community College.
- Submit all official transcripts (high school and college).
- * Take a Placement test and meet minimum Reading, Writing, and Math
- COMPASS Writing Score of 65 or higher
- COMPASS Reading Score of 71 or higher
- COMPASS Pre-Algebra Score of 51 or higher
- ASSET Writing Score of 37 or higher
- ASSET Reading Score of 38 or higher
- ASSET Numerical Skills score of 42 or higher
- ACT English Score of 18 or higher
- ACT Reading Score of 16 or higher
- ACT Math Score of 15 or higher
* Scores expire after two years. In order to be valid, scores cannot be more than two years old at the start of the term for which you have applied. Students who do not have valid test scores may schedule a time to take the COMPASS test by e-mailing email@example.com, or by calling Enrollment Services at 800.432.5852 extension 3277 or 712.325.3277 (select option 5).
Please note that BIO-168 Human Anatomy and Physiology I w/ labs is required in the first semester of the Surgical Technology program, and it has a grade of “C” or higher in Human Biology at the college level, or one year of high school Anatomy and Physiology with a grade of “B” or higher earned within the last two years. Students must have the prerequisite for BIO-168 Human Anatomy and Physiology I w/ labs completed before being eligible to begin Surgical Technology program courses in the first semester of the program.
In the fith term of the Surgical Technology program students are charged a $290 certification exam fee.
It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that all admissions requirements are documented in the Office of Admissions.