Discover ways to influence tomorrow’s workforce! If you are an area professional in Southwest Iowa, we can put you in touch with area high school students who:
- Are interested in learning about your company, the kind of work you do, and what they need to study to enter the career field.
- Are interested in applying what they’ve learned in class to the real world.
- Would like to learn more about the opportunities found right here in the Iowa Western Community College Region.
Get Involved Today!
There are many ways to get involved! You can choose the level of commitment your company is able to provide. Work-based learning opportunities include:
Worksite Tour Host
- Businesses and organizations invite students and teachers into their operations to learn about the site and see the workplace environment.
- Age Range: 9th-12th grade students
- Time Commitment: Typically 30-60 minutes.
Job Shadow Host
- Students are invited into a business to observe a career in action and learn directly from a professional.
- Age Range: 10th-12th grade students
- Time Commitment: Typically 1-4 hours.
- Businesses and organizations host student interns to give them a hands-on experience in a specific career field.
- Age Range: 11th-12th grade students
- Time Commitment: Times vary, typically 45-90 hours.
Teacher Externship Host
- Businesses and organizations host a high school teacher for a summer internship.
- Time Commitment: Typically 40 hours.
Career Exploration Activities
- Businesses and organizations participate in career exploration activities, such as classroom guest speaking opportunities, mock interview panels or student career fairs.
- Age Range: 8th-12th grade students
- Time Commitment: Activities vary in length from 1 hour to half day.
If you are interested in learning more or committing to any of these activities, please complete the Business Participation Form.
Work-Based Learning Resources for Employers
Tips & Tools
- Tour Tips for Host Businesses
- Job Shadow Tips for Host Businesses
- Internship Tips for Host Businesses