Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS: Education equivalent to completion of high school. Must have and maintain a valid CDL/passenger license and school bus driver certification. Must pass criminal background check, drug screening and physical health requirements. Minimum of 6 years general driving experience preferred.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of commercial transportation vehicles
- Knowledge of federal and state traffic laws and regulations
- Knowledge of bus evacuation procedures
- Skill in driving commercial transportation vehicles with airbrakes
- Skill in performing minor maintenance and safety checks of commercial vehicles
- Skill in evacuating students during an emergency
- Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Knowledge of one or more building trades.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties, knowledge, skills, and abilities noted herein, however, this list represents EXAMPLES ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
- Transport students and other passengers to and from designated destinations, overnights and weekends; adjust and plan travel routes if necessary.
- Make routine checks and inspection of bus and equipment for proper operation, safety, and maintenance.
- Observe and follow all applicable federal, state, local laws, and regulations governing commercial transportation.
- Follow school district guidelines regarding student management and discipline; report incidents to proper personnel.
- Maintain required records of bus usage and reports of operation.
- Monitors, maintains, and performs standard repairs to building electrical facilities and systems, such as tubes, fixtures, switches, photo cells, and outlets; assists licensed electricians with non-technical repairs as appropriate.
- Monitors and performs non-technical maintenance of plumbing systems, to include standard repair of leaking fixtures, cleaning obstructed waste lines, installing water coolers, and/or performing non-technical modifications to plumbing and water supply systems; assists licensed plumbers, as appropriate.
- Performs carpentry maintenance tasks including routine sheetrock/drywall installation and/or repair, window replacement, cabinet and countertop replacement, painting and texturing, and door and hardware installation; paints interior and exterior finishes, as appropriate.
- May perform general maintenance, custodial, and trash removal tasks.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Documents facilities maintenance requirements; maintains appropriate records of work performed.
- Performs snow removal, as required.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Operation of Class B motor vehicle requiring frequent upper body movement; repetitive use of arms, hands, and fingers to include grasping both firm and light; primarily right side to operate door opener.
- Seeing to drive and to observe work performed.
- Hearing and speaking to communicate with students, parents, and other staff.
- Frequent reaching to clean windshields, adjust mirrors, and open/close windows.
- Frequent bending, stooping, twisting, turning, reaching, carrying, pulling, pushing, climbing (bus steps) and extensive sitting.
- Continual lifting and carrying of 0 - 20 lbs. Floor to chest and overhead.
- Frequent lifting and carrying of 20 to 80 pounds. Floor to chest and overhead.
- Occasional lifting, carrying and pushing of up to 180 pounds in emergency situations to drag or lift injured students to evacuate bus.
- Maintenance work involves almost constant exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemicals, bio-hazardous materials, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises.
- Maintenance work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
- Exposure to driving a school bus during adverse weather and traffic conditions, extreme temperatures, vehicle exhaust, odors, poor ventilation, and intense noise.
- Exposure to abusive or uncooperative individuals.
- Exposure to working around and with machinery having moving parts.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
Open until filled