Application for Employment
Please send completed employment application and resume to:
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Rd. Box 4-C
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
For Professional Staff positions please include a minimum salary requirement in your
For all Faculty positions please include an official copy of transcripts.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Knowledge of general HR software systems. Must have knowledge of computer software, including Word, Excel, and Access. Relate well with co-workers and the public. Excellent analytical skills.
Required: High School diploma or GED
Preferred: Associates Degree
Required: 3 years of benefit experience
Preferred: 5 years of benefit experience in a college environment.
Experience in Datatel is preferred
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The benefits specialist is responsible for administering the Iowa Western Community College benefits programs. This position works directly with the third party vendor and any consultants to resolve any issues that may arise with the benefit plan and its members. This position also has responsibility for maintaining the following programs: FMLA, EAP, Tuition Assistance, Flexible Spending Accounts and other assistance programs.
Typical Physical Demands:
Requires prolonged standing or sitting. Requires frequent bending, stooping or stretching. May require light lifting. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity. Requires ability to distinguish letters or symbols. Requires the use of office equipment such as computer terminals, calculator, telephone, faxes, and copiers.
Typical Working Conditions:
Work is routinely performed in an office environment. Frequent contact with internal and external customers is required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation and distribution of written and verbal information to inform employees of benefits, this includes drafting up communication on benefits for internal websites, organizing benefit mailings, annual enrollment and meeting with new employees.
- Serves as the main contact for all benefit related issues and keeps the director updated on issues as they arise.
- Identify and make recommendations to implement benefits to increase the quality of life for employees, by working with the Director and researching benefits issues.
- Propose, evaluate and modify benefits policies to ensure that programs are current, competitive and in compliance with legal requirements.
- Responsible for processing billing and resolving discrepancies with insurance providers.
- Maintains a good working knowledge of benefit legislation, industry standards and best practices, incorporating standards into processes and procedures.
- Prepares, administers and maintains records, files and reporting information for the various programs.
- Enters benefits into the Human Resource system in a timely manner to ensure accuracy of deductions for new hires, changes and separations.
- Responsible for COBRA notifications.
- Tracks all FMLA, corresponds with employees, ensures eligibility, and ensures compliance.
- Is responsible for entering and tracking Faculty contracts into the HR system.
- Responsible for performance of other duties as assigned.
General supervision received from HR Director
open until filled