Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day, Evening, Online
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Communication and Fine Arts
About the Program
The Art program of study prepares students to transfer to four-year institutions or art schools to continue their studies. The college's Arts Center facility, overlooking the beautiful Loess Hills, provides a quality learning environment for the arts.
Iowa Western's Art program of study will help you paint a rosy future. The program is taught by practicing artists, who help students translate their work to presentation technology. An electronic portfolio of all work is created for interview use or internship opportunities.
Few community colleges offer an art program as large as Iowa Western's, and the program is integrated with other college departments to provide a well-rounded foundation for our graduates. You’ll spend 100 percent of class time on a computer and in the digital photography class.
This program is designed for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution upon completion of this two-year program. Career opportunities in the art field may include: sequential artist, video game creator, furniture designer, painter, or fiber artist.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate competence in the process of creating visual art forms.
- Demonstrate a practical as well as a conceptual knowledge of the visual arts.
- Have knowledge of, participated in, and comprehend their responsibility of the art community.
- Are prepared to pursue advanced degree studies in the visual arts.
- Apply principles as self-directed learners, critical thinkers, problem solvers and effective medium/community communicators.
* Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa