Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall and Spring
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Communication and Fine Arts
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
Students working toward a Music Technology Associate of Arts degree typically intend to transfer into a four-year Bachelor degree program, such as music education or music performance, upon completion of this two-year degree. Students in this program learn about elements of music including music theory, sight singing and ear training, keyboard skills, and music performance, and are encouraged to take applied lessons and participate in music ensembles offered at Iowa Western, including marching band, concert band, pep band, concert choir, and show choir.
This program is designed for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution upon completion. Students can take the skills learned in the Technical Music program at Iowa Western and apply them to music performance, music education, or assist with their own musical groups.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate ensemble techniques and representative repertoire in both large and small ensembles appropriate to the student's specific performance mediums.
- Demonstrate competent application of music cognition in music theory.
- Demonstrate basic competencies in keyboarding, aural skills, and sight singing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the live performance and recording industries.
- Use professional judgment and ethics in their interactions with colleagues, other members of the musical community, and community as a whole.
* Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database.