Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall and Spring
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Communication and Fine Arts
About the Program
A degree in Iowa Western’s Theatre program can lead to a wide range of opportunities in the theatrical arts industry. If you have an interest in technical design and building, directing, teaching, or administration, this program is just right for you. This program will reward you with an Associate of Arts degree and send you on your way.
Theatre students are encouraged to transfer their credits to four-year institutions. You can apply your credits toward a degree in such areas as theatre, speech, fine arts, or education. An advanced degree will improve your chances for success in this field.
This program gets students involved in stage management and directing in the very first semester. There are internships available at area theatres and other service learning opportunities. It all results in a well-rounded experience. You’ll form a close bond with your instructors and fellow students in this program.
This program is designed for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution upon completion of this two-year degree. Students can then pursue undergraduate majors in theatre, speech, or related fields of education. With a degree in theatre, students can begin careers in performance, technical design and building, directing, teaching, or administration. Acquiring skills in all aspects of theatre is recommended for job security, and advanced degrees are generally required for specific levels of teaching and administration jobs.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Illustrate the importance of collaboration in the art of theatre.
- Utilize resources to analyze, interpret, and evaluate dramatic literature for the purpose of performance.
- Demonstrate basic characterization techniques.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of various periods and genres of theatre.
* Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa
* A.A. and A.S. Degree Programs provide students a general education core in Communications, Social Sciences, Science & Mathematics, Humanities, and Diversity. The foundation of required and elective courses prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university bachelor's degree Program.