This 65 hour course is designed to prepare persons who are working as Nurse Aides with the knowledge and skills to safely and effectively provide rehabilitative/restorative therapies under the direction of a physical therapist or occupational therapist. The Certified Nurse Aide course is prerequisite to this course because the information and skills being taught are based on the basic skills acquired when providing nurse aide services.
- Certificate of completion of a 75 hour Certified Nurse Aide course
- Currently on the Nurse Aide Registry
- Six months experience as a CNA
- Written recommendation from a nursing director or administrator
Upon successful completion of this course, the participant should be able to:
- Conceptualize rehabilitation of elderly residents/patients
- Recognize normal basic anatomy and physiology of body systems and the interrelationship of these systems
- Recognize the importance of range of motion and how to perform ROM when caring for the elderly
- Demonstrate correct body mechanics, transfer methods and body positioning
- Teach a resident/patient basic self-care under the direction of a physical therapist or occupational therapist
- List the various types of equipment and functions available for rehabilitation care
- Describe the assessment process used by licensed PT/OTR in developing a rehabilitation plan
Method of Assessment
- Exams: Students must have an 80% average to successfully complete the Rehab Aide Course. There are no re-takes of any exams in this course. All course homework must be completed.
- Attendance: 100% Attendance is mandatory. Weather related delays or closings will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
- All homework assignments must be completed satisfactorily prior to receiving the certificate.
- Class Participation: Active participation is expected and used to evaluate successful completion of this course.
A Certificate of Completion will be issued when the student meets attendance, grade and participation requirements.
Iowa Western Community College
Looft Hall, 2700 College Road,
Council Bluffs IA
Call 712-325-3355 for new class dates.
$665 (includes tuition, book, handouts)