Iowa Western Community College strives to make a positive difference in people’s lives through accessible and excellent educational programs and services. Iowa Western and the Iowa Western Foundation support this by working to assist students with access to scholarship sources. IWCC awards over 825 scholarships totaling over $2.2 million each year, and when you consider how low tuition is to begin with as well as the fact that the money is going to a fairly small pool of only about 3,000 students, that figure becomes even more staggering. IWCC has many scholarship opportunities available for new and continuing students:
Upon completion of the scholarship application, students will be considered for all available scholarships. Applications remain on file for one academic year. All scholarship recipients must be a high school graduate or have completed a HiSET (GED).
- Priority consideration for fall semester applications is March 15.
- Priority consideration for spring semester applications is November 15.
Upon completion of the scholarship application, students will be considered for all available scholarships. Priority consideration for fall semester applications is March 15. Priority consideration for spring semester applications is November 15. Applications remain on file for one academic year. All scholarship recipients must be a high school graduate or have completed a HiSet (GED).
The Presidential Scholarship is the most prestigious scholarship awarded by the College. This scholarship will pay up to $2500 per semester and is a full two-year conditional award valued at $10,000.
Application: Applicants must be freshmen, enrolling directly from high school, have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.5 and must submit a copy of their ACT scores. Each applicant must submit two original reference letters supporting the scholarship qualifications and accomplishments and a brief essay addressing the following questions:
- How have you maintained your academic success during your high school career?
- If selected, how will you get involved at Iowa Western? What will you bring to Iowa Western?
- Why should you be chosen to receive the Presidential Scholarship from Iowa Western? What separates you from other applicants?
Selections will be based on academic excellence, extracurricular achievements and leadership. The final candidates will be required to interview with members of the Presidential Scholars Board.
Benefits: Recipients of this scholarship will have the opportunity to meet leaders from business and civic groups who are employees, alumni and friends of Iowa Western. These contacts prove valuable as students continue their education and seek employment after completing their education. Recipients will have the opportunity to develop people skills and build on their leadership potential.
Conditions: The recipient must:
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA while at IWCC.
- Assist the President of Iowa Western in hosting alumni functions, fund raising and other College events.
- Maintain “good standing” as a student at Iowa Western at all times.
- Reside in on-campus housing or at home with parents.
Completed materials should be submitted to:
Office of the President
Iowa Western Community College
2700 College Road, Box 4C
Council Bluffs, IA 51502
External scholarships beyond the control of Iowa Western are plentiful. You will find the following links very helpful in your search.