Degree, Certificate or Diploma
61,237 Jobs (2020)
+6.3% Change from 2020-2025
Data is from the Omaha Metropolitans Area, and the seven counties in Southwest Iowa that Iowa Western serves
What will you do
The Culinary Arts program is designed to place students into the workforce upon completion of the ten-month diploma. After completing this program, graduates are qualified for entry-level to intermediate positions in the field. Students who wish to earn a degree and qualify for advanced positions should continue on and complete The Culinary Arts diploma, or one of three Associate of Applied Science degrees in Culinary Arts: Culinarian, Baking and Pastry Art, or Restaurant and Hospitality Management.
- Entry: $11.21
- Average: $13.26
- Experienced: $19.20
Career Coach - find a job with this degree
HCM 186 - Culinary Foundations I
HCM 111 - Principles of Baking I
HCM 191 - Quantity Food Production I Lab
HCM 113 - Culinary Baking
HCM 100 - Sanitation and Safety
HCM 200 - Dining Service
MAT 711 - Business and Financial Mathematics
HCM 187 - Culinary Foundations II
HCM 112 - Principles of Baking II
HCM 192 - Quantity Food Production II Lab
HCM 121 - Culinary Baking II
MGT 195 - Workplace Empowerment
HCM 512 - Culinary Internship
HCM 517 - Baking Internship
Total Semester Hours Required: 35.0
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Identify and demonstrate how to properly use the principle pieces of equipment in a kitchen, baker and and dining room setting while preparing and servicng foods in mass quantity.
- Define and explain the structure and functions of a strandardized recipe and how to price out for a menu after it has been modified or extended.
- Demonstrate a set of mental and manual skills, and the ability to apply them to a range of cooking and baking styles, using equipment in quantity, hot and cold foods as well as baking preparation.
- Understand and apply basic culinary and baking principles specifically to entrees, soups and sauces, garde manger, charcuterie and baked goods during preparation in compliance with HACCP and in accordance to industry standards and specifications.
- Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database