Degree, Certificate or Diploma
The CNC Machining Diploma Program prepares students for an entry level position as a CNC machine operator or general machinist. Students program, set-up, and operate a computer numerical control (CNC) machine, inspect parts, perform production runs and set-up jobs. Students gain a strong foundation of blueprint reading, CAD and basic manual machining skills. Students will work on lathes, mills and a variety of CNC machinery.
376 Jobs (2020)
-3.7% Change from 2020-2025
Data is from the Omaha Metropolitans Area, and the seven counties in Southwest Iowa that Iowa Western serves
What will you do
This program is designed for students intending to enter the workforce upon completion of the CNC Machining Diploma Program. Graduates are prepared for careers in the manufacturing industry as CNC operators, machine operators, and machinists.
- Entry: $16.13
- Average: $19.97
- Experienced: $30.54
|IND 109 - Equipment Safety and Operation||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MAT 743 - Technical Math||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MFG 121 - Machine Trade Printreading I||2.0 Credit(s)|
|MFG 156 - Introduction to CNC Machining||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MFG 222 - Machine Operations I||4.0 Credit(s)|
|CAD 139 - Introduction to CAD/CAM||3.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 18.0 Credits
|EGT 167 - Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MFG 228 - Machine Operations II||4.0 Credit(s)|
|MFG 190 - Metallurgy||2.0 Credit(s)|
|MFG 359 - CNC Programming and Operations||4.0 Credit(s)|
|MFG 420 - Jig and Fixture Design||2.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 15.0 Credits
Total Semester Hours Required: 33.0
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Work safely and responsibly within a production CNC or a machine shop environment.
- Operate and set-up various types of manual and CNC Machines.
- Read and interpret part and assembly drawings with both dimensional and geometric tolerances.
- Construct jigs, fixtures, compound and progressive dies.
- Perform basic inspection procedures using measuring tools and coordinate measuring equipment.
- Use CAD and 3-D modeling software to draw and dimension die components.
- Setup and operate CNC Vertical and Wire Electrical Discharge Machines.
- Design and construct basic plastics injection molds.
- Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database
- A.A and A.S. Degree Programs: provide students a general education core in... (HLC)