Degree, Certificate or Diploma
The Construction Technology: Carpentry Certificate program of study prepares students for entry level jobs in the residential construction industry. This certificate program will expose students to carpentry theory, techniques, and building materials. Students receive safety training and complete the 10-hour OSHA and EPA training. Graduates of this program are awarded a certificate..
2,791 Jobs (2020)
+6.7% Change from 2020-2025
Data is from the Omaha Metropolitans Area, and the seven counties in Southwest Iowa that Iowa Western serves
What will you do
Carpenters construct and repair building frameworks and structures—such as stairways, doorframes, partitions, rafters, and bridge supports—made from wood and other materials. They also may install kitchen cabinets, siding, and drywall. There is a high demand for carpenters in the nationwide.
- Entry: $24.19
- Average: $33.26
- Experienced: $63.66
|MAT 743 - Technical Math 1||3.0 Credit(s)|
|CON 114 - Residential Print Reading||3.0 Credit(s)|
|CON 180 - Principles of Building Construction I||3.0 Credit(s)|
|CON 170 - Building Construction Techniques I||6.0 Credit(s)|
|CON 266 - Construction Safety||3.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 18.0 Credits
Total Semester Hours Required: 18.0
1May substitute with MAT 102 or higher.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Identify and demonstrate the use of appropriate tools safely for residential construction.
- Interpret residential blueprints and plans.
- Identify various types of interior and exterior finishes in residential construction.
- Demonstrate how to construct floor, wall, ceiling and stair systems in residential construction.
- Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa