Renewable Energy Technology
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall Only
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: No
Completed in the Evenings: No
Pathway: Career Path
Career Cluster: Industrial Technology and Transportation
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
The Renewable Energy Technology program of study is designed to provide the skills and knowledge required for entry-level careers in the installation and maintenance of renewable energy systems, with a focus on wind turbines and solar energy systems. Graduates of this program are awarded an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree.
New program pending state and regional accreditation approval
Students who complete this program will have the skills to pursue jobs in the green industry including wind turbine installer, solar electricity installer, solar tehermal installer, and other similiar fields. Depending on a students path, students will be prepared certification in the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (www.nabcep.org) credential programs for renewable energy jobs. A wind turbine technician, also known as a windtech, installs, inspects, maintains, operates, and repairs wind turbines. They are able to diagnose and fix any problem that could cause the turbine to shut down unexpectedly.A few of the job duties include: inspecting the exterior of the towers; climbing the towers to inspect, troubleshoot, or repair equipment; collecting turbine data for testing and analysis; performing routine maintenance; testing electrical components, systems, and mechanical and hydraulic systems; and replacing worn out or malfunctioning components.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Explain the operation of core systems within renewable energy systems.
- Troubleshoot electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical renewable energy systems.
- Maintain electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical renewable energy systems.
- Use OSHA and best practices for safety in the renewable energy industry.
- Contrast and compare methods of renewable energy production in the context of sustainability and environmental impact.
- Demonstrate appropriate workplace behavior with respect to attitude, interpersonal communication, and safety.
* Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database.
* The U.S. Department of Education requires colleges to disclose a variety of information for any financial aid eligible program that “prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”. The information provided here describes the graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information regarding gainful employment for the most recent academic year (as of July 1).