Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: No
Completed in the Evenings: No
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Health and Sciences
About the Program
Looking to begin the road to the biological science field? The best place to start is Iowa Western, where the Biological Sciences study program can prepare you to transfer to a four-year institution.
You’ll acquire knowledge in natural and physical sciences in a very intimate classroom setting. The one-on-one interaction between instructors and students makes this program very attractive. There are a variety of class offerings and times, so you can pick the one that best fits your hectic schedule.
There are opportunities for class trips to the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and wildlife refuges. There also are opportunities to gain experience from visits to Creighton University’s cadaver lab.
This program is designed for students intending to transfer on to a four-year institution upon completion of this two-year degree. Many biological scientists work in research and development, conducting basic research to increase our knowledge of living organisms, including animals, plants, and bacteria. Other biologists work in applied research, where they are responsible for developing new medicines, increasing crop yields, and improving our environment. In general, a minimum of a bachelor’s degree is necessary to find employment. Advanced degrees such as a master’s degree or Ph.D are necessary to be considered for certain research positions.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the relationship of the periodic table of the elements to the functions of organic molecules.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of heredity and diversity of ecosystems.
- Demonstrate understanding of the relationship of kingdoms and phyla.
- Demonstrate competence in the scientific laboratory.
* Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa