Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day & Online
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Business and Computers
About the Program
Computer training continues to become a high-demand area of learning, and Iowa Western is responding to that with a Computer Science program of study that can prepare you to transfer to a four-year institution to complete undergraduate requirements. Working toward an Associate in Arts degree you’ll be able to choose from these four options:
- Application Programming
- Computer Networking
- Web Programming
This is an exciting new program that will help you develop a broad general education base and gain knowledge in information technology. You’ll be able to take classes on a full-time or part-time basis, and scholarships are available. Not all program courses are offered on-line or every year. There are opportunities for valuable hands-on experience in computer labs. If you’re good as a problem solver and looking for multiple study options, this program is for you.
This program is designed for students intending to transfer on to a four-year institution upon completion of this two-year degree. This program enables students to be prepared for careers in an array of business areas associated with information technology, ranging from entry-level to upper-level positions. Specific career opportunities depend on which area of concentration students choose to pursue at Iowa Western as well as what courses they take as they pursue a bachelor's degree. Some examples of careers include web designers and web developers, software programmers and engineers, and computer network administrators.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate use of analytical and problem solving skills for web development.
- Construct applications with database connectivity for various platforms.
- Demonstrate trouble shooting and problem solving skills with systems and networks.
- Administer and maintain computer networks.
- Design a secure network.
- Construct a computer network.
- Demonstrate business, marketing, management, and web design skills.
- Demonstrate use of analytical and problem solving skills for application programs.
- Design, create and maintain a relational database system.
- Effectively interact with users to determine requirements.
* Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa
* A.A. and A.S. Degree Programs provide students a general education core in Communications, Social Sciences, Science & Mathematics, Humanities, and Diversity. The foundation of required and elective courses prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university bachelor's degree Program.