Electrical Technology Certificate
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall and Spring
Program Length: 2 Semesters
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Evening Only
Pathway: Career Path
Career Cluster: Industrial Technology and Transportation
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
The Electrical Technology Certificate Program prepares individuals to apply technical knowledge and skills to install, operate, maintain, and repair electric apparatus and systems such as residential, commercial, and industrial electric-power wiring; and DC and AC motors, controls, and electrical distribution panels. Includes instruction in the principles of electronics and electrical systems, wiring, power transmission, safety, industrial and household appliances, job estimation, electrical testing and inspection, and applicable codes and standards.
The Electrical Technology Certificate program provides students with the training essential for positions as an electrician in residential or commercial construction or industrial maintenance. The program provides training in advanced motor control, conduit installation and bending techniques, blueprint reading and wiring practices. Students are trained to install, replace, and repair electrical equipment and understand industry safety practices. This program is designed to meet the related technical instruction for some DOL apprenticeship programs. Graduates of this program are awarded a certificate.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Describe how systems, components, and theories work, including the operating principles for common electrical, electronic, and electromechanical components and devices such as but not limited to AC and DC sources, resistors, capacitors, inductors, transistors, digital systems, control systems, power systems, and motors.
- Apply hands-on skills, such as use of tools, soldering, circuit assembly, analytical instrumentation skills (including use of meters and the oscilloscope), and computer simulation.
- Interpret specification sheets circuit schematics, and mechanical drawings.
- Demonstrate organized troubleshooting skills.
* Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database.