Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall and Spring
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day, Evening, Online
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Health and Sciences
About the Program
If you enjoy math and science and you are looking for an interesting career in the engineering field, Iowa Western’s Pre-Engineering program is a great place to get started. After completing the Associate of Science degree program, you’ll have the foundation needed to transfer to a four-year institution and complete a bachelor’s degree in the engineering field of your choice.
In this program, you will also complete a 1 credit hour Engineering Orientation course designed to introduce you to various career options in engineering, and develop an academic plan that will help prepare you for transferring on to complete your bachelor’s degree.
The Pre-Engineering program is designed for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution upon completion of this two-year Associate of Science degree. There is a large variety of specialties within the field of engineering that students can choose to focus on, such as aerospace, chemical, construction, electrical, mechanical, nuclear, civil, and computer engineering, just to name a few. Engineering has become increasingly diverse. It's not just about building and designing things—it's about building and designing environments where people can work, live, and thrive. A bachelor's degree in engineering is required for almost all entry-level engineering jobs.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Calculate and apply derivatives.
- Calculate and apply integrals.
- Analyze and compute infinite series and sequences.
- Work in team setting.
- Solve engineering problems.
- Solve physics problems.
* Minimum of a Bachelor's degree is necessary for employment in this area.
* Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa
* A.A. and A.S. Degree Programs provide students a general education core in Communications, Social Sciences, Science & Mathematics, Humanities, and Diversity. The foundation of required and elective courses prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university bachelor's degree Program.