Fire Science Technology
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 6 Semesters
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Evening Only
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Social Sciences
Program Locations: Council Bluffs Campus
About the Program
Iowa Western’s Fire Science Technology program is designed primarily for working firefighters and volunteer firefighters seeking a paid position. Here you will learn state-of-the-art firefighting techniques from instructors who are experienced firefighters. The program awards graduates with an Associate of Arts degree.
This rigorous program is offered only Monday and Tuesday nights, and courses are offered on a three-year rotation. In three years you’ll be well-versed in many aspects of firefighting and administrative duties. Hands-on training prepares you for this intensely competitive career, and you can take Firefighter I and II prerequisites at Iowa Western through its Continuing Education program or through local volunteer departments.
After graduating, some students transfer to four-year institutions to improve chances for a higher paying position. Fire departments, fire suppression services, and insurance companies are among the places you can land as an Iowa Western graduate.
This program is primarily designed to enhance the careers of presently-employed firefighters, as well as safety specialists, volunteer firefighters, and building inspectors. By earning this degree, you can increase your expertise, credibility, and opportunities for career advancement. The credits you earn in this program may be transferred to a four-year institution where you can pursue a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Identify the fundamentals of fire protection.
- Identify the role local, state and national codes play in fire protection.
- Evaluate the needs and importance of various fire protection equipment.
- Recognize procedures utilized in fire investigation.
- Assess the role of the construction industry and construction methods in fire protection technology.
* Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa
* A.A. and A.S. Degree Programs provide students a general education core in Communications, Social Sciences, Science & Mathematics, Humanities, and Diversity. The foundation of required and elective courses prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university bachelor's degree Program.