General Studies AA
Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall, Spring, Summer
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day, Evening, Online
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Communication and Fine Arts
About the Program
If you are like most college-bound students, selecting a career path can be one of the most challenging decisions of your life. Pursuing a General Studies path may be the best option. The General Studies program gives students the opportunity to explore areas of interest while taking the classes needed to pursue a bachelor’s degree at a four-year institution.
Students who major in General Studies need to use the flexibility of this program of study to find a focus that will lead to a career. Iowa Western offers students a variety of services and resources that are designed to help them gather information to make informed decisions regarding major and ultimately career selection. These resources also provide an opportunity for students to make a connection between a program of study, or major, and the related job possibilities.
The General Studies program is designed for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution. Students who major in General Studies need to use the flexibility of this program of study to find a focus that will lead to a career. The General Studies Associate of Arts is a good choice for students entering fields such as fine arts, communications, and social sciences.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Evaluate information appropriately.
- Apply principles of critical thinking to demonstrate integrative learning.
- Communicate effectively in spoken form.
- Communicate effectively in written form.
- Analyze diversity issues within a global context.
- Develop continued learning strategies.
* A.A. and A.S. Degree Programs provide students a general education core in Communications, Social Sciences, Science & Mathematics, Humanities, and Diversity. The foundation of required and elective courses prepares students for transfer into a four-year college or university bachelor's degree Program.