Just the Facts
Program Start Term: Fall and Spring
Program Length: 2 Years
Completed Online: Both
Completed in the Evenings: Day & Online
Pathway: Transfer Path
Career Cluster: Health and Sciences
About the Program
The Exercise Science program of study prepares students to transfer to a four-year institution for further education in pre-health professional degrees (pre-physical therapy, athletic training, or per-physician assistant), corporate wellness, personal trainer, cardiac rehabilitation, and human performance. Students gain a solid foundation of human biology, anatomy and physiology, nutrition, and exercise programming. Included in this program are tools to obtain a personal trainer certificate. Graduates of this program are awarded an Associate of Science (A.S.) degree.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of human anatomy and how the body moves, based on the knowledge of muscles, bones, and tissues.
- Recognize harmful health practices and intervene to effect attitudinal behaviors.
- Demonstrate skills necessary to assess a possible injury in an emergency situation.
- Demonstrate competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of weight training and physical fitness activities.
- Design an exercise and/or weight training program for an individual's specific situations and goals.
* Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa