Degree, Certificate or Diploma
What will you do
The Human Services Addictive Studies program is designed for students intending to either transfer to a four-year institution or enter the workforce upon completion of this two-year degree. This program prepares students with the necessary knowledge and skills needed to become a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC). This program is designed to meet all educational requirements for the Iowa Board of Certification (IBC) and prepares students for the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC) national exam. In addition, the addictive studies internship program will assist students in meeting the IBC’s 1,000 required clock hours of supervised substance abuse counseling experience. Career opportunities for Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselors include inpatient and outpatient counseling, conducting individual, family, and group counseling, substance abuse and DUI assessments, case management, and educational seminars.
Career Coach - find a job with this degree
ENG 105 - Composition I
PSY 111 - Introduction to Psychology
HSV 259 - Introduction to Chemical Dependency
HSV 140 - Social Work and Social Welfare
ENG 106 - Composition II
SOC 110 - Introduction to Sociology
HSV 225 - Counseling Techniques
HSV 132 - Fundamentals of Case Management
SPC 112 - Public Speaking
PSY 121 - Developmental Psychology
HUM 287 - Leadership Development Studies
HSV 115 - Agency and Community Resources
HSV 226 - Fundamentals of Family Counseling
PSY 241 - Abnormal Psychology
HSV 228 - Group Counseling Techniques
HSV 180 - Ethics for Human Service Professionals
HSV 802 - Internship
Total Semester Hours Required: 64.0
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Recognize the professional characteristics of a human service worker.
- Demonstrate effective interviewing and counseling skills when engaging clients.
- Compose the written documentation required of a human services case manager.
- Assemble a comprehensive service plan.
- Recognize the dynamics of vulnerable persons and special populations.
- Evaluate community and agency resources.
- Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa