Requirements Before You Start
- Iowa Residents must be 18 years in age or older
- Out of state Residents must be 21 years in age or older (K restrictions are not allowable)
- Read write understand and speak English sufficiently.
- Steps to Enter the CDL Training Program
- Obtain your CLP from your state of residence
Learn more here https://iowadot.gov/mvd/cdl/Commercial-learners-permit
- Acquire a DOT-approved physical*. These physicals must be from a physician on the register of certified doctors. You can find that list here https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/home
*Please note there are disqualifying medical conditions* visit https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/medical for more information
- Create a Login.gov account here https://secure.login.gov/?request_id=bae6623a-f602-4a4b-9923-7d02deebdf6e
- Register as a student in the Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/Register
- Five-year MVR will be acquired by Iowa Western Via a 3rd party provider. You must allow IWCC to pull your MVR should you have any concerns about your MVR please contact us.
About the Program
Our class consists of Hybrid Theory instruction and “behind the wheel” training. Students will learn to shift and back maneuvers on our closed course before they train on public right of way with our professional driver trainer. At the end of this course, students will test for their class A CDL. This class meets all FMCSA ELDT guidelines.
You will be tested as soon as you are deemed to be proficient.
Disqualifying factors apply to MVR see below*
THE LIST MAY NOT BE ALL-INCLUSIVE
No Serious /Major moving violations
No more than three minor moving violations
No drug or alcohol-related offenses
No major preventable accidents or multiple minor preventable accidents
No more than 3 minor violations or minor accidents combined.
Iowa Western will need copies of the documents below.
Driver’s License (both sides)
Commercial Learner Permit (both sides)
Medical Examiners Certificate (commonly referred to as a long-form)
You will Register and pay for the class. We will then send you for Pre-employment FMCSA DOT Drug and Alcohol Testing. Pre-employment Screen is included in the price of the class** Do not go until you are registered and instructed to do so. You must agree to be tested and release results to Iowa Western Community College.
- Students will need to furnish a 30-day log book similar to this item
- A reflective safety vest (fluorescent orange or green no zipper front)
- Sturdy work-type gloves (please be mindful of season and weather conditions)
Refunds: You may cancel your registration 10 business days prior to the start of the class date and receive a 100% refund excluding the $50 non-refundable processing fee. If contacting outside Iowa Western Community College’s Business and Community Education Department hours, leave a voicemail and or send the department an email. Iowa Western Business and Community Education Department is not responsible for refunds if contact is not pursued via voicemail and or email. In compliance with the IWCC policy, refunds will only be produced in the form of a check. A check will be issued within 14 business days after the refund is admitted to the customer. Refund will be sent to the customer’s address that is on file. Certain program restrictions may apply. Contact Business and Community Education for more details at email@example.com.
Cancellations: Iowa Western reserves the right to cancel any class where difficulties arise in staffing or scheduling and or where minimum enrollment is not achieved. A full refund will be issued for all canceled classes.