Substitute Teacher Training

Requirements Before Starting

  • Have a Completed Bachelors or Associates Degree, or Paraprofessional Educator’s License
    • We offer a Paraprofessional Educator License. Learn More


$260 | Tuition

Things You Need to Know

  • After the Two Day Substitute Training You Will Have to Complete Two Classroom Observations
  • Complete Mandatory Reporter/Child Abuse Training
  • You Will Have to Apply for the Substitute Authorization Certificated Through the Board of Educational Examiners
  • Complete a Board of Educational Examiners Background Check
  • Upload Your Official Transcripts and Substitute Authorization Training to the State

About the Program

Iowa Western offers the Board of Educational Examiner’s approved Substitute Authorization course , which allows an individual to substitute for any class in the K-12 institutions.  This is a 2-day training offered nearly every month.  Student must possess a Paraeducator certificate or an Associate’s Degree, or a Bachelor’s Degree, or 60 completed semester hours at the post-secondary level.  Upon completion of this weekend course, student will arrange observations in a school of their choice.  Substitutes teach for a contracted teacher out on leave in any subject grades PK-12. Average Iowa ray range for substitute teachers is $120.00-$190.00 per day. Limited to 10 days in a row in a 30-day period in the same assignment. Cannot fill open positions.  For more specifications as outlined in this State of Iowa BOEE approved program visit: