Requirements Before Starting
- High School Diploma or HiSET
- Working knowledge of Windows-based PC and Microsoft Office
- Documentation of Current Vaccinations and Immunizations including but not limited to the Mandated COVID Vaccinations and (2) Two-Step Tuberculin Skin Tests*
- Criminal Background Check**
- Class Registration Form Completed/Payment
- Complete theImmunization Record Form
- Mail or Bring in Documentation to Iowa Western Community College’s Continuing Education Department
*(2) Two-Step Tuberculin Skin Tests must be completed within 12 months prior to the class start date (One week’s time is required between first and second skin tests. Tests are performed by the healthcare provider of your choice
**Iowa Western will perform background and drug screening for anyone who wishes to register for the course
About the Program
- 196-hour program offers both theoretical and practical training
- Complete a 60-hour externship in a retail pharmacy, as well as two, 8-hour shifts in an acute/hospital pharmacy
- Plan for some flexibility for the required 76 hours of externship. The hours of participation are established in conjunction with the hosting pharmacy. Hours and days will vary
- Upon completion of the program, you will take the PTCB (Pharmacy Technician Certification Board) exam.
Cindy Burbank has been a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT) through the PTCB since 1997. She has nearly 30 years of working in the pharmacy industry and has worked in all aspects, ranging from mail orders to clinical pharmacies.
- History & Foundation
- Legal & Ethical Considerations
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Safety & Standards
- Memorizing Pharmacology
- Pharmacy Environments
- 76 hour Externship
- PTCB Exam Review
Wages: According to EMSI data, $12-$14/hour.
Career Examples: Wide variety of practice settings, including community settings such as a chain or independent pharmacies, hospitals, home health care, long-term care, nuclear pharmacy, and managed health care facilities.
Refunds: You may cancel your registration 48 business hours prior to the start of most classes and receive a 100% refund with the exception of the non-refundable processing fee. If contacting outside Iowa Western‘s Community College Continuing Education Department business hours, leave a voicemail and or send the department an email. Iowa Western Continuing Education is not responsible for refunds if contact is not pursued via voicemail and or email. In compliance with the IWCC policy, refunds will only be produced in the form of a check. A check will be issued within 14 business days after the refund is admitted to the customer. Refund will be sent to the customer’s address that is labeled on file. Certain program restrictions may apply. Contact Continuing Education for details at email@example.com. Cancellations: Iowa Western reserves the right to cancel any class where difficulties arise in staffing or scheduling or where minimum enrollment is not achieved. A full refund will be issued for all canceled classes. Transfers/Withdrawals: Transfers may be subject to a $25.00 transfer fee. Non-attendance for a class does not constitute a withdrawal and refunds are not issued for nonattendance. Transfers may be made up to two full business days (unless otherwise noted in the class information) prior to the start date of the class. After that time, transfers will not be permitted and no refund will be issued.