Student Assistance

Here to Help

Chances are, you have a lot more going on in your life than classes. Whether you’re feeling overwhelmed, unsure, or simply burned out, our team is here to listen. We offer a range of services to help you stay healthy and on track.

Mental Health Mental Health Services

College is stressful for many students, whether or not you have existing mental health concerns. Our mental health practitioners provide short-term support in the following areas:  

  • Personal tragedies or events that impact your ability to be successful
  • Depression, suicidal thoughts, or emotional disturbances
  • Homesickness or trouble adjusting to college life

For more information about mental health supports or services, email or see the Student Assistance page in ROC.

Food Pantry Rocky’s Emergency Pantry

One in eight Americans struggle with hunger and we understand that Iowa Western students are no exception. That is why we have a food pantry with food and personal hygiene and toiletry items that are available to our current students. To learn more about our food pantry, or to donate, email Current students can access more information on the Student Assistance page in ROC.

Emergency Assistance Emergency Assistance

We understand that a flat tire, broken bone, or other unexpected expense can be financially and mentally draining. Unfortunately, these things happen and when they do, school is probably the last thing on your mind.

The emergency assistance fund (EAF) is available to help you with unexpected financial burdens so you can get back on track with your life and with the school. Current students may receive emergency assistance one time for up to $500. For information about the emergency assistance fund, email or visit the Student Assistance page in ROC.

Disability Services Disability Services

If you have used an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan, or have a documented disability, you could qualify for accommodations through Disability Services. One big change from high school to college is that you must reach out to Disability Services in order to set up accommodations. Here is our simple, three-step process for receiving accommodations.

  1. Fill out the Disability Accommodation Request Form to let us learn a little bit about you and what accommodations you are requesting.
  2. Provide documentation of your disability. Acceptable documentation includes a recent IEP or 504 Plan, letter from a licensed mental health practitioner or medical provider on letterhead, or documentation from Veteran’s Affairs. Please send your documentation by email to or fax to (712) 388-6850.
  3. Schedule an intake appointment with the Disability Services Coordinator to go over your documentation and establish which accommodations will help you be successful at Iowa Western. To schedule an intake appointment, click here or call (712) 325-3299.

For questions about Disability Services, email . If you are a current student, see the Disability Services page in ROC for more information.