What does a Help Desk Technician do?
IT help desk professionals tend to be methodical problem-solvers with an innate ability to learn new skills and adapt to challenging circumstances. But what does a help desk technician do
Tasks to include but not limited to , as responsibilities will vary depending on place of employment
- Analyzing employees’ computer problems
- Setting up or repairing computer equipment
- Documenting issues for easy reference
- Walking employees through solutions and fixes
- Installing and training users on new hardware or software
- Providing remote technical support via internet or phone
- Backing up and restoring files
- Maintaining operating systems by repairing hardware and configuring software
Requirements Before Starting:
- High School Diploma
- 18 years of age
About the Program
Aspiring IT professionals often find themselves learning the ropes working as a help desk technician—it’s a valuable steppingstone that leads directly to other roles that require technical knowledge. But soft skills are important, too. Think: empathy, communication, stress management, and patience.
If you love working with computers and helping others solve critical problems, this is an exciting career path.
*Classes are currently being updated, if you don’t see a specific course call the Continuing Ed office at 712-325-3256 or view the list here
Need a Hand With the Fee? No Problem.
Training That Gets You Career-Ready
- Get In
- Get Out
- Get Working
Find out how Iowa Western Community College and Career Step can meet your career training needs today
- Anywhere, Anytime Learning
- Completely Self-Paced Study
- 1:1 Live Support
- 416 Online Training Hours
- 12 Months Program Access
- $57,910 Average Annual Salary
- CompTIA and MOS Certification Prep