What Type of Student are you?

New Students and Transfer Students

Students who have completed high school or equivalence looking to enroll at Iowa Western for the first time.

Returning Student

Students who have previously attended Iowa Western and looking to re-enroll.

International Student

Students looking to complete a degree or certificate at Iowa Western who are required to obtain an F-1 or M-1 student visa to study in the United States.

Visiting Student

Students who are regularly enrolled at another college or university and plan to transfer IWCC courses back to that institution.

High School Students

Dual enrollment and concurrent enrollment. High school students looking to earn college credit while in high school.

Military Students

Students who have a G.I. bill or have to take time off to fulfill National Guard or other military service requirements.

  1. Search for Classes

    Before you apply to the college and register for classes, you will want to do some research. Start by using the Iowa Western course search to find the class(es) you want to enroll in. Once you find the course you need, be sure to get the course number and course title – you will need this when you Apply and Register. Here’s an example of an Iowa Western course number and title: ENG-105 English Comp I. Since you are planning to transfer the credits you earn back to your home institution, you will want to check with your school to verify that the course will transfer.

  2. Check Prerequisites

    Some Iowa Western courses have prerequisites. Using the course search feature you can verify whether or not a course has a prerequisite and what the specific prerequisite is. If the course you wish to enroll in has a prerequisite, be sure to gather the documentation you need to prove that you have completed it. After your application has been processed, we will contact you and ask you to provide that information.

  3. Complete an Application for Admission

    There is no application fee to pay and is available online.
    How to Apply Guide
    How to Apply Video

  4. Make Payment Arrangements

    After you are registered for classes, we will send you a registration statement showing your classes and your balance. You can also find your balance on the student portal, Reiver Online Campus (ROC). Visiting students are not eligible to receive financial aid. We understand that paying for classes can be a challenge. With low tuition rates and an interest free online payment plan available, we hope to make this easier for you. Of course, you can always pay in full with a debit or credit card by calling the cashier at 712-325-3225 or sending a check.

  5. Request Transcripts

    You need to have a final, official high school transcript or HiSET/GED transcript sent to Iowa Western. In addition, if you have taken any college credit courses at another institution, you need to contact each of those institutions and request your transcripts be sent directly to the Iowa Western Office of Admissions.

  6. Request Transcripts

    If you have taken any college credit courses at another institution, you need to contact each of those institutions and request your transcripts be sent directly to the Iowa Western Office of Admissions.

  7. Credit Prior Learning

    Credit gained while attending high school or college or while in the military (e.g. CLEP, AP, DSST, etc.)

  8. International Student Checklist

    International Students wanting to attend Iowa Western Community College send required documentation, receive a (Certificate of Eligibility) Form I-20 and obtain a Student Visa.

  9. Complete Program-Specific Admissions Requirements

    Certain healthcare programs will require additional admission requirements in order to be considered for acceptance.

  10. Apply for Financial Aid

    If you haven’t filled out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), you need to do so as soon as possible. The FAFSA is available online at and must be completed in order to determine your eligibility for grants (money you don’t need to pay back) and loans (money you borrow). You will need to know Iowa Western’s school code, which is 004598.
    Apply for FAFSA

  11. Apply for Housing

    If you plan to live in campus housing, you need to fill out a Housing Application, which is available online at You may choose from three great options: Reiver Tower, Reiver Village or Reiver Suites.
    Apply for Housing

  12. New Student Registration

    Once you complete the Application for Admission, you will receive email communication to your personal account from the Admissions Office regarding your first semester registration…check your email!

  13. Contact Your High School Counselor

    Students seeking enrollment in college level classes must first connect with their high school counselor.

  14. Apply for Admission

    The application link will be sent directly from your high school counselor.

  15. New Student Registration

    Course selection and registration will be completed with your high school counselor

  16. Apply for VA Education Benefits

    Access and manage your VA benefits

  17. Certificate of Eligibility

    Turn in your Certificate of Eligibility to the Veteran Service Coordinator.

Visit campus to see what we have to offer in person.

Individual Visits

Individual visits can be booked on Monday - Friday depending on availability. Click on the Sign Up to locate your admissions advisor and sign up for a campus visit!

Reiver Fever Visit

Part of finding the right college is exploring campus and all the experiences awaiting you. During our Reiver Fever Friday events you and a group of other potential students will see firsthand Iowa Western's campus and be able to explore programs, admissions, and residence life.

Saturday Visits - Back in September!

Saturday visit will resume in September.In the meantime, check out our Reiver Fever dates.

Group Visits

Group visits can be booked on Monday - Friday depending on availability. Organizations looking to visit Iowa Western should email us at


Cost per Credit Hour

Iowa Resident


Non-Iowa Resident




Housing with Unlimited Dining Costs







For estimates of total costs per credit hour see the Financial Aid cost and tuition page. Housing costs are with an unlimited meal plan and full room occupancy (except the Village). See the Costs page for full housing and meal plan information.
Additional Fees may be assessed for other services as well as for specific programs and courses. The Board of Trustees reserves the right to change the tuition and fee schedule at any time without prior notification to either applicants or students.


Iowa Western Admissions
2700 College Rd.
Council Bluffs, IA 51503


Visit Campus, Tours

Iowa Western Tours
2700 College Rd.
Council Bluffs, IA 51503

Schedule Visit


Financial Aid

Iowa Western Financial Aid
2700 College Rd.
Council Bluffs, IA 51503