College is a place where you learn and grow. Part of that process is using your available resources to assist you in getting where you need to be. Your academic performance is important because it affects your eligibility for graduation and financial aid.
That is why Iowa Western provides a variety of academic supports to help you meet your educational goals. All of these services are available to you for FREE! They are all conveniently located in the Academic Resource Center on the 2nd Floor of our Student Center.
Our library is a Cyber Library. What is a Cyber Library? A Cyber Library is a library with all books, journals, articles, and media available through the internet. That’s right… we have no books in our library, just computers! We also have:
- 24/7 access to books, journal articles, and other resources
- FREE black and white printing
- Daily laptop checkout
- Individual and group study rooms
- Help with research, formatting, and citations
For more information on our Cyber Library, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a current student that needs to access the library database or more information, visit the Cyber Library page in ROC.
We offer FREE peer, professional, and online tutoring to all of our students.
- Peer tutoring covers a variety of subjects, such as math, science, and speech to name a few of our most popular subjects.
- A professional tutor is available for Statistics, Intermediate Algebra, and College Algebra.
- Online tutoring is available through ThinkingStorm.
- You can also get tips on note-taking, studying, test-taking, time management, and organization.
Writing papers is a big part of college and is challenging for many students. Our professional writing consultant can provide you with guidance and resources at any phase of the writing process including, but not limited to:
- Understanding writing assignments
- Thesis development
If you have used an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan, or have a documented disability, you could qualify for accommodations through Disability Services. One big change from high school to college is that you must reach out to Disability Services in order to set up accommodations. Here is our simple, three-step process for receiving accommodations.
- Fill out the Disability Accommodation Request Form to let us learn a little bit about you and what accommodations you are requesting.
- Provide documentation of your disability. Acceptable documentation includes a recent IEP or 504 Plan, letter from a licensed mental health practitioner or medical provider on letterhead, or documentation from Veteran’s Affairs. Please send your documentation by email to email@example.com or fax to (712) 388-6850.
- Schedule an intake appointment with the Disability Services Coordinator to go over your documentation and establish which accommodations will help you be successful at Iowa Western. To schedule an intake appointment, click here or call (712) 325-3299.
The TRiO Program Connects you to Resources to help you be Successful
TRiO Connects Students to Professional Academic Specialists in Writing, Math and Science
- CONNECT with our specialists and other students in the TRiO Learning Lab, SC Room 2038.
- Specialists are available to get you started and see you through assignments and projects in the areas of math, science, and writing.
TRiO Connects Students to Student Support Specialists
- Getting help is just a short appointment away as you CONNECT with TRiO student support specialists.
- They will help get you on a path to success in your classes, help you figure out financial aid, and make sure you will have a successful transfer.
- They will also help you be accountable to your plan of success by encouraging and counseling you along the way
To be accepted into TRiO, students must meet ONE of the following criteria:
- The student must be a “First Generation” college student. This means your parent/guardian who raised you does NOT have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- The student must meet certain income guidelines.
- The student has a documented disability on file with Iowa Western Community College (i.e., 504 or IEP in high school).
A representative from TRiO will contact you with a decision in 5-7 business days