College is a place where you learn and grow. Part of that process is using your available resources to assist you in getting where you need to be. Your academic performance is important because it affects your eligibility for graduation and financial aid.
That is why Iowa Western provides a variety of academic supports to help you meet your educational goals. All of these services are available to you for FREE! They are all conveniently located on the 2nd Floor of our Student Center.
Our library is a Cyber Library. What is a Cyber Library? A Cyber Library is a library with all books, journals, articles, and media available online. We also have:
- eBooks & audiobooks through Libby/Overdrive
- FREE black and white printing
- Laptop checkout for on and off-campus students
- Individual and group study rooms
- Help with research, formatting, and citations
For more information on our Cyber Library, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a current student that needs to access the library database or more information, visit the Cyber Library page in ROC.
We offer FREE peer, professional, and online tutoring to all of our students.
- Peer tutoring is available for math, science, business, and communication classes
- A professional tutor is available for Statistics and Intermediate Algebra
- Online tutoring is available for most subjects
- You can make an appointment with an academic coach to discuss study skills such as note taking, test strategy, time management, and organization
For more information on our Tutoring services, email email@example.com. If you are a current student, you can find the tutoring schedules and more information on the Tutoring and Writing
Center page on Canvas. You can also find online tutoring on the ThinkingStorm portal.
Regardless of your major, you will be asked to write academic papers for your classes. At any
phase of the writing process, our writing consultants can provide you with guidance and
- Understanding writing assignments
- Summarizing and responding to assigned readings
- Brainstorming ideas and topic choice
- Considering your audience
- Outlining and basic organizational structure
- Thesis development
For more information on our Writing Center, email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a current
student, you can schedule a consultation appointment or learn more on the Tutoring and Writing
Center page on Canvas. If you are not on campus, you can get a professional online writing
review from ThinkingStorm.
If you have used an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan, or have a documented disability, you could qualify for accommodations through Accommodation Services. One big change from high school to college is that you must reach out to Accommodation Services in order to set up accommodations. Here is our simple, three-step process for receiving accommodations.
- Fill out the Accommodation Request Form to let us learn a little bit about you and what accommodations you are requesting.
- Provide documentation of your disability. Acceptable documentation includes a recent IEP or 504 Plan, letter from a licensed mental health practitioner or medical provider on letterhead, or documentation from Veteran’s Affairs. Please send your documentation by email to email@example.com or fax to (712) 388-6850.
- Schedule an intake appointment with the Accommodation Services Coordinator to go over your documentation and establish which accommodations will help you be successful at Iowa Western. To schedule an intake appointment, click here or call (712) 325-3299.
TRIO/SSS at Iowa Western is a federal grant program that provides services to 175 eligible students for FREE!
TRIO/SSS staff support participants both inside and outside the classroom to help students achieve academic success, graduate from Iowa Western Community College, and transfer to a 4-year institution of his/her/their choice to complete a Bachelor’s degree. A variety of FREE services are provided to assist students including but not limited to:
- Hands on Advising
- Professional Academic Tutoring
- Skill Building Workshops
- Financial Literacy
- Career and Transfer Planning
- Cultural Diversity
- Peer Mentors
- TRIO/SSS Living Learning Community (LLC)