Degree, Certificate or Diploma
The Fine Arts program of study prepares students to transfer to four-year institutions or art schools to continue their studies. The college's Arts Center facility, overlooking the beautiful Loess Hills, provides a quality learning environment for the arts.
Iowa Western's Fine Arts program of study will help you paint a rosy future. The program is taught by practicing artists, who help students translate their work to presentation technology. An electronic portfolio of all work is created for interview use or internship opportunities.
Few community colleges offer an art program as large as Iowa Western's, and the program is integrated with other college departments to provide a well-rounded foundation for our graduates. Students study under instructors who are also practicing professional artists.
This program is designed for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution upon completion.
What will you do
This program is designed for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution upon completion of this two-year program. Career opportunities in the art field may include: sequential artist, video game creator, furniture designer, painter, or fiber artist.
- This program is designed for students intending to transfer to a four-year institution upon completion.
|ART 133 - Drawing 1||3.0 Credit(s)|
|ART 120 - 2-D Design 1||3.0 Credit(s)|
|ART 125 - Digital Media 1||3.0 Credit(s)|
|ENG 105 - Composition I||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MAT 157 - Statistics||4.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 16.0 Credits
|ART 134 - Drawing II 1||3.0 Credit(s)|
|ART 123 - 3-D Design 1||3.0 Credit(s)|
|ART 143 - Painting 1||3.0 Credit(s)|
|ENG 106 - Composition II||3.0 Credit(s)|
|SOC 110 - Introduction to Sociology||3.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 15.0 Credits
|ART 151 - Design I 1||3.0 Credit(s)|
|ART 184 - Photography 1||3.0 Credit(s)|
|ART 203 - Art History I||3.0 Credit(s)|
|ENV 111 - Environmental Science||4.0 Credit(s)|
|PSY 121 - Developmental Psychology||3.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 16.0 Credits
|ART 204 - Art History II||3.0 Credit(s)|
|ART 196 - Studio Practices I||3.0 Credit(s)|
|HIS 111 - Western Civilization: Early Modern to Present||3.0 Credit(s)|
|SPC 112 - Public Speaking||3.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 13.0 Credits
Total Semester Hours Required: 60.0
One elective must also satisfy the diversity requirement.
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Are self-directed learners, critical thinkers, problem solvers and effective medium/community communicators
- Demonstrate competence in the process of creating visual art forms
- Demonstrate practical and conceptual knowledge of the visual arts
- Have knowledge of, participated in, and comprehend their responsibility of the art community
- Are prepared to pursue advanced degree studies in the visual arts
- Because career opportunities associated with this degree are so varied, salaries vary considerably as well. To explore careers and gather specific salary information, we encourage you to visit the following website: IHaveaPlanIowa