Degree, Certificate or Diploma
Course work includes performance, promotions, sales, management, writing and producing commercials, social media, and programming. Students can enhance their classroom experience by participating in all station operations at 89.7 The River.
Graduates of this program are awarded an Associate of Applied Science degree in two years and are ready to move directly into the radio industry.
841 Jobs (2020)
-2.7% Change from 2020-2025
Data is from the Omaha Metropolitans Area, and the seven counties in Southwest Iowa that Iowa Western serves
What will you do
This program is designed for students intending to enter the workforce upon completion of this two-year degree. Radio announcing is a competitive field; however, many students begin working part-time or at small stations and move their way up. Graduates of this program are prepared for careers as on-air announcers, morning show hosts/co-hosts, production assistants, production directors, creative services specialists, account executives, promotions directors, and social media managers.
- Entry: $14.82
- Average: $24.88
- Experienced: $60.22
Career Coach - find a job with this degree
JOU 110 - Introduction to Mass Media
MMS 105 - Audio Production
MMS 338 - Radio Practicum I
MMS 123 - Electronic Media Performance
SPC 112 - Public Speaking
ENG 105 - Composition I
MMS 341 - Radio Practicum II
MMS 135 - Introduction to Copy Writing
MMS 205 - Advanced Audio Production
MMS 190 - Broadcast Promotions
MMS 260 - Electronic Media Sales and Management
MMS 204 - New Media Production
MMS 342 - Radio Practicum III
MMS 350 - Media Sales Practicum
MMS 223 - Advanced Radio Performance
MMS 202 - Social Media Marketing
PHI 211 - Ethics in the Media
MAT 711 - Business and Financial Mathematics
MMS 134 - Media Writing
MMS 261 - Programming for the Electronic Media
MMS 933 - Media Studies Internship
MGT 195 - Workplace Empowerment
Total Semester Hours Required: 63.0
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate vocal performance abilities.
- Use digital editing software and audio production equipment to produce professional quality materials.
- Demonstrate a variety of effective promotions, sales, and marketing techniques and approaches.
- Demonstrate a variety of writing styles for use in the media.
- Create a post-graduation packet including a resume, cover letter, demo, and web/social media components.
- Fully assess radio stations including management structure, revenue streams, and adherence to FCC policy.
- Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database