Degree, Certificate or Diploma
597 Jobs (2020)
+5.4% Change from 2020-2025
Data is from the Omaha Metropolitans Area, and the seven counties in Southwest Iowa that Iowa Western serves
What will you do
This program is designed to place students into the workforce upon completion of the degree. Surgical Technologists perform a variety of tasks in operating rooms before, during, and after an operation to assist the surgeon and other medical staff with surgery. During the last term of the program, students will take the national certification exam to become a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST). Job opportunities will be best for surgical technologists who are certified. The employment opportunities for surgical technologists are expected to increase by 24.4% through the year 2016.
- Entry: $20.08
- Average: $25.87
- Experienced: $127.47
Career Coach - find a job with this degree
BIO 168 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I
HSC 113 - Medical Terminology
MAT 743 - Technical Math
ENG 105 - Composition I
SPC 122 - Interpersonal Communication
HSC 203 - Sterile Processing Fundamentals
BIO 173 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II
PSY 121 - Developmental Psychology
MGT 195 - Workplace Empowerment
BIO 186 - Microbiology
SUR 134 - Introduction to Surgical Technology and Anesthesia
SUR 141 - Introduction to Basic Surgical Principles
SUR 215 - Basic Surgical Principles
SUR 221 - Surgical Technology
SUR 518 - Clinical I
SUR 320 - Advanced Surgical Technology
SUR 524 - Clinical II
Total Semester Hours Required: 66.0
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- To prepare competent entry-level surgical technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- Utilize critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate the application of the principles of sterile techniques.
- Apply a basic understanding of human physiology and surgical anatomy in the perioperative role of a surgical technologist.
- Utilize appropriate medical terminology.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills.
- Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database