Degree, Certificate or Diploma
The Welding Certificate program prepares students to enter into the industry as beginning production, maintenance, or job shop welders. Students are trained in the latest techniques in fabrication of materials by welding processes. The Welding Certificate is designed to teach fundamental techniques and principles. The pathway also provides for an overview of related topics, such as metallurgy and fabrication, layout, estimating and repair.
1,205 Jobs (2020)
+1.2% Change from 2020-2025
Data is from the Omaha Metropolitans Area, and the seven counties in Southwest Iowa that Iowa Western serves
What will you do
A welder takes various metal components and uses intense heat to fuse them together to form a final product. Thus, they must have the strength and skills to manage welding equipment. After completing a postsecondary training program they can be employed in numerous industries, including construction, steel, aerospace and motor vehicles, each of which may depend on their level of expertise.
- Entry: $16.06
- Average: $19.66
- Experienced: $30.64
|WEL 228 - Introduction to Welding, Safety, and Health of Workers||1.0 Credit(s)|
|WEL 233 - Print Reading and Welding Symbol Interpretations||3.0 Credit(s)|
|WEL 149 - Arc Welding||3.0 Credit(s)|
|WEL 256 - Gas Metal Arc Welding||4.5 Credit(s)|
|WEL 259 - Oxy-Acetylene Arc Welding||1.0 Credit(s)|
|WEL 192 - Gas Tungsten Arc Welding||4.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 16.5 Credits
Total Semester Hours Required: 16.5
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate appropriate safe work habits when operating oxyfuel and electric welding equipment and function safely in a welding environment.
- Demonstrate welding operations with appropriate process on various metals and situations.
- Display manipulative skills with various welding processes to assure adequate weld integrity and appearance.
- Interpret blueprint welding symbols to fabricate components.
- Demonstrate the basic principles and application of metallurgy.
- Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database