Degree, Certificate or Diploma
Sports is more than just a hobby, it can be your career. If you are comfortable with public speaking, and you want to share your passion for sports with the world, sports media technology is a great major for you.
The sports media technology program will give you the opportunity to produce sports content for radio and TV. You will work with the professional staff at IWTV, and 89.7 The River, to get hands-on experience in sports announcing, video and audio production, and sports writing. In addition, you will learn about social media, new media, and marketing.
Our students also get real-world experience by completing an internship. As a sports media technology major you will learn how to develop the skills you need to move directly into the sports media industry after graduation.
841 Jobs (2020)
-2.7% Change from 2020-2025
Data is from the Omaha Metropolitans Area, and the seven counties in Southwest Iowa that Iowa Western serves
What will you do
This program is designed for students intending to enter the workforce upon completion of this two-year degree. This program prepares students for a career as a sports media specialist in radio, television, and journalism fields.
- Entry: $14.82
- Average: $24.88
- Experienced: $60.22
|ENG 105 - Composition I||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 105 - Audio Production||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 113 - Introduction to Media Production||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 123 - Electronic Media Performance||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 306 - Sports Media Practicum I||1.0 Credit(s)|
|JOU 110 - Introduction to Mass Media||3.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 16.0 Credits
|MMS 114 - Media Production II||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 152 - Spring Sports Announcing||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 204 - New Media Production||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 205 - Advanced Audio Production||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 307 - Sports Media Practicum II||1.0 Credit(s)|
|PHI 211 - Ethics in the Media||3.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 16.0 Credits
|MAT 711 - Business and Financial Mathematics||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 107 - Sports Field Production||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 202 - Social Media Marketing||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 231 - Advanced Video Production I||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 308 - Sports Media Practicum III||1.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 13.0 Credits
|MMS 134 - Media Writing||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 309 - Sports Media Practicum IV||1.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 312 - Photojournalism||3.0 Credit(s)|
|MMS 933 - Media Studies Internship||2.0 Credit(s)|
|MGT 195 - Workplace Empowerment||3.0 Credit(s)|
|SPC 112 - Public Speaking||3.0 Credit(s)|
Semester Total: 15.0 Credits
Total Semester Hours Required: 60.0
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Demonstrate vocal performance abilities for live sports broadcast situations.
- Use digital audio editing software and audio production equipment to produce professional quality materials.
- Create written content including but not limited to scripts, media guides, and press releases for use in the media.
- Use digital video editing software and video production equipment to produce professional quality materials.
- Demonstrate interviewing techniques in both live and recorded situations.
- Create a post-graduation packet including a resume, cover letter, demo, and web/social media components.
- Organize marketing events and materials to benefit the team or institution.
- Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database