Degree, Certificate or Diploma
The Nursing programs are approved by the Iowa Board of Nursing, RiverPoint Business Park, 400 SW 8th Street, Suite B, Des Moines, IA 50309-4685, (515) 281-3255.
2,467 Jobs (2020)
+8.6% Change from 2020-2025
Data is from the Omaha Metropolitans Area, and the seven counties in Southwest Iowa that Iowa Western serves
What will you do
The Licensed Practical Nursing program is designed to place students into the workforce upon completion of the one-year diploma. Practical Nurses care for the sick, injured, convalescent, and disabled under the direction of physicians and registered nurses. They are responsible for providing basic bedside care, such as taking vital signs (temperature, blood pressure, and pulse), treating pressure ulcers, administering injections, and applying dressings. Other on-the-job duties handled by a Practical Nurse include helping patients with bathing, dressing, and personal hygiene. All states require Licensed Practical Nurses to pass a licensing examination known as the NCLEX-PN after completing a state-approved practical nursing program. Licensed Practical Nurses are in high demand, especially in nursing homes. While there will be an abundance of jobs for nurses in the next decade, those wishing to work in a hospital setting will experience some competition, simply because hospitals are serving fewer inpatients and are not increasing their nursing staff. The earnings of Licensed Practical Nurses vary widely, depending on skill level, location, and experience.
- Entry: $28.97
- Average: $36.11
- Experienced: $55.37
Career Coach - find a job with this degree
PNN 228 - Foundations of Nursing I
PNN 290 - Health Assessment Across the Lifespan
PNN 721 - Foundations of Nursing Clinical I
SPC 112 - Public Speaking
PNN 201 - Introduction to Math and Medications
PNN 229 - Foundations of Nursing II
PNN 723 - Foundations of Nursing Clinical II
PNN 282 - Pharmacology II
PNN 446 - Nursing Care of the Growing Family
BIO 151 - Nutrition
Total Semester Hours Required 43.0
Upon the successful completion of the program students will:
- Identify effective methods of communication with clients and health care team members to promote, maintain and restore the optimal health of clients across the life span with common health needs.
- Apply the nursing process in the provision of nursing care for clients across the life span with common health needs for the promotion, maintenance and restoration of optimal health.
- Demonstrate the implementation and reinforcement of the teaching of clients with common health needs according to an established teaching plan.
- Demonstrate the delivery of nursing care, assuming the role and responsibilities of the licensed practical nurse, within the health care environment for clients across the lifespan with common health needs in a variety of structured health care settings.
- Salary information from EMSI Analyst Database